how to choose what type of surgery to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm just finishing up my 3rd year surgery rotation and I'm trying to decide what field of surgery to go into. Based on the misery I've noticed in my school's GS residents, I think I'm probably going to reserve that field as a backup. But, I find all the other fields (ophtho, ENT, uro, ortho, etc) really interesting and appealing. So how did everyone here decide what type of surgery they wanted to do? I love the OR, but one field isn't jumping out at me over the ones!

Members don't see this ad.

i actually love general surgery. i love being on call, and dealing with acute surgical patients. i also like trauma. there is something special about being in charge in a critical setting.

Based upon the premise of completing a 3rd year rotation in surgery, along with the fact that it is early in the 3rd year, I would offer the simple advice of trying to schedule surgical electives early in the 4th year (or in the 3rd year if your school allows for electives in the 3rd year). You need not worry about selecting a field right away as you may even find that you are more interested in another field as your 3rd year progresses.

Keep the mind open and if you have an inkling of what specialty you may go into, start to build connections as best you can with your school's staff in that particular department. Networking always helps.

Otherwise, enjoy your 3rd year and pimp the 4th years and interns as to why they selected the specialty they are in.

Best of Luck.

"The only reason not to do a rectal exam is if the patient doesn't have a rectum or you don't have a finger."