How to classify elementary school teaching experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Verity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was previously in an elementary education program for over three years. Consequently, I have hundreds of hours working with elementary-aged students. I will not have an elementary education degree.

This includes time that was explicitly required as part of courses outside-of-class, opportunities that were recommended by professors, and after-school sessions that I led as part of a formal education cohort that has no attached credit. Activities include after-school enrichment, organizing/leading gym classes for homeschooled students, teaching math/health/science lessons, and general classroom assistance. Additionally, I would like input as to whether or not I should account for lesson planning/prep, as it is quite a sizable commitment (mostly in the case of the after-school enrichment).

I do not wish to be disingenuous with my classification of these experiences. It's probably a 50/50 split between required for courses and not. I would appreciate all opinions regarding how to classify this on the AMCAS application. Is it teaching, or non-clinical volunteering? Or does it not matter? I've definitely already pushed up on the 15 activity slots limit, and am not sure breaking this into two slots would be the best use of space. Application-wise, I have a significant amount of teaching experience from being a paid TA for multiple semesters. I have less volunteering experience if this is not counted. Looking forward to hearing input.

Members don't see this ad.

I vote non-clinical volunteering. I did a similar gig and classified it that way.

Edit: I also actually taught taught and classified it as teaching.

Reactions: 2 users
I was previously in an elementary education program for over three years. Consequently, I have hundreds of hours working with elementary-aged students. I will not have an elementary education degree.

This includes time that was explicitly required as part of courses outside-of-class, opportunities that were recommended by professors, and after-school sessions that I led as part of a formal education cohort that has no attached credit. Activities include after-school enrichment, organizing/leading gym classes for homeschooled students, teaching math/health/science lessons, and general classroom assistance. Additionally, I would like input as to whether or not I should account for lesson planning/prep, as it is quite a sizable commitment (mostly in the case of the after-school enrichment).

I do not wish to be disingenuous with my classification of these experiences. It's probably a 50/50 split between required for courses and not. I would appreciate all opinions regarding how to classify this on the AMCAS application. Is it teaching, or non-clinical volunteering? Or does it not matter? I've definitely already pushed up on the 15 activity slots limit, and am not sure breaking this into two slots would be the best use of space. Application-wise, I have a significant amount of teaching experience from being a paid TA for multiple semesters. I have less volunteering experience if this is not counted. Looking forward to hearing input.
I think it's fine to call it Volunteer. Presumably some of this experience will show up on your transcript, like student teaching does. I suggest you make clear in the narrative the 50/50 split between curricularly-required teaching and that which was altruistically-inspired, lest it be assumed it was 100% obligatory.

Including prep time is fine, but distinguish that involvement in your description, too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to decide between "teaching/tutoring" and "volunteer, non-clinical". Either is correct and it is your choice.

For anyone who comes along and sees this later, if you were employed as a teacher, it would be "teaching/tutoring" or "employment", again, your choice.

Reactions: 2 users
You need to decide between "teaching/tutoring" and "volunteer, non-clinical". Either is correct and it is your choice.

For anyone who comes along and sees this later, if you were employed as a teacher, it would be "teaching/tutoring" or "employment", again, your choice.
On a related note, can volunteer teaching count as a leadership position?

On a related note, can volunteer teaching count as a leadership position?
Who are you leading? Other teachers?
Who are you teaching? Fellow students at your grade level?

The teacher in the classroom is not a "leader" in my book. The principal of the school is in a leadership position. Ditto the chairman of a department within a HS.

Don't worry so much about the "leadership" tab. Focus in your activities on teamwork. Leadership will come in good time.

Reactions: 1 users