How to classify study abroad under AMCAS activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zakimran23

Reaction score
I got feedback from one of the associate directors for admission at my state school and she recommended that I list my study abroad experience as an activity. I'm not sure whether to put it under "hobbies, other, or something else." Also in terms of hours, should I put the amount of hours I spent in class? Should I put 0? Really not sure. Thank you for the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I got feedback from one of the associate directors for admission at my state school and she recommended that I list my study abroad experience as an activity. I'm not sure whether to put it under "hobbies, other, or something else." Also in terms of hours, should I put the amount of hours I spent in class? Should I put 0? Really not sure. Thank you for the feedback.
It's a part of your college degree, and you don't really count your in-country courses as activities, right?

However, if you learned some things about yourself or about living and studying in another country, you could certainly talk about it in some essays that have a relevant question asked.

Other people have talked about it as part of a "hobby" of traveling in their activity list and then discussed their study abroad experience

It's a part of your college degree, and you don't really count your in-country courses as activities, right?

However, if you learned some things about yourself or about living and studying in another country, you could certainly talk about it in some essays that have a relevant question asked.

Other people have talked about it as part of a "hobby" of traveling in their activity list and then discussed their study abroad experience
It doesn't show up on my official transcript as it was done through a foreign institution with no credits transferred. I paid for it with a scholarship, but it wasn't through my college. It was at an academy that teaches spanish, usually to adults needing certificates and accreditations for jobs and visas, but not necessarily for college students.

Members don't see this ad :)