How to Compare Medical Schools!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyberMc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that site, it was pretty interesting, although a lot of schools don't seem to have that many people who have responded so far. Still, it was helpful.

Yes, thanks for posting this link! I really appreciate it! Great info!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a huge caveat about polls of students at schools: Students can only rate thier school in relation to peer institutions. So, kids at NYMC (for example) can only say that they're happy with their schoo and happy with the choice they made in relation to the other schools they got into, or could have gotten into.

An example of this is the Princeton Review poll that found that Brooklyn College students gave their campus the highest score of any campus in the country. Now, BC has a nice campus, but Harvard and Princeton clearly have nicer campuses by any objective measure. The thing is, Harvard and Princeton kids have higher standards (aka are spoiled brats) and are nonplused by their respective campuses.

I think this phenomenon can explain the following result:
NYMC vs. NYU

Quality of teaching in years 1 and 2
Adequacy of curriculum in preparing you for USMLE Step 1
Quality of teaching in years 3 and 4

I think very people would honestly say that the quality of teaching at the two schools is essentially equal. Very few people would spend a long time choosing between the two schools. All one can say is that students at both schools seem roughly equally satisfied, not that the schols provide an education of equal quality.

Sorry for choosing these two schools. Both are fine schools where people are happy and whatnot, and I don't want to be flamed here. I do think that they are entirely seperately tiered schools, and the numbers of the one don't scale with the numbers of the other.

EDIT: I found another less controversial comparison: overall satisfaction--Marshall 4.5; Hopkins 4.3. I tend to think very few people would choose Marshall over Hopkins, though.

Originally posted by ewing
I think very people would honestly say that the quality of teaching

With all due respect, you are probably in no position to make these evaluations. There are plenty of factors that the premed bible (USNWR) doesn't take into consideration.

While I don't think it's worth my time to debate you on the demerits of your argument or the supposed insight that allowed you to reach your conclusion, I will say that the surveys posted on that website are indeed extremely subjective and inaccurate.

Here's a huge caveat about polls of students at schools: Students can only rate thier school in relation to peer institutions. So, kids at NYMC (for example) can only say that they're happy with their schoo and happy with the choice they made in relation to the other schools they got into, or could have gotten into.

An example of this is the Princeton Review poll that found that Brooklyn College students gave their campus the highest score of any campus in the country. Now, BC has a nice campus, but Harvard and Princeton clearly have nicer campuses by any objective measure. The thing is, Harvard and Princeton kids have higher standards (aka are spoiled brats) and are nonplused by their respective campuses.

I think this phenomenon can explain the following result:
NYMC vs. NYU

Quality of teaching in years 1 and 2
Adequacy of curriculum in preparing you for USMLE Step 1
Quality of teaching in years 3 and 4

I think very people would honestly say that the quality of teaching at the two schools is essentially equal. Very few people would spend a long time choosing between the two schools. All one can say is that students at both schools seem roughly equally satisfied, not that the schols provide an education of equal quality.

Sorry for choosing these two schools. Both are fine schools where people are happy and whatnot, and I don't want to be flamed here. I do think that they are entirely seperately tiered schools, and the numbers of the one don't scale with the numbers of the other.

EDIT: I found another less controversial comparison: overall satisfaction--Marshall 4.5; Hopkins 4.3. I tend to think very few people would choose Marshall over Hopkins, though.

I think you make some very good and interesting points here. Kudos.

Coops

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
I LOVE YOU!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Originally posted by CyberMc
What do you think are the most important characteristics to consider when choosing between acceptances?

http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/

==> This site gives good stats and info from medical students from a med student survey

http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey

LOL, someone wrote this in the feedback about what you least like about NorthWestern University School of Medicine:

"not enough pretty girls "

Yeah, last time I tried this they wouldn't let me in! This is cool. Too bad I already finished interviews.

Originally posted by Neuronix
Ah it's back! For a while this was restricted to AMSA members only. Good decision by AMSA to open this back up.

Yeah, I would take the testimonials and ratings on AMSA with a grain of salt, especially when there is a stark contrast between testimonials (i.e., one is a glowing endorsement of the school, another a scathing criticism of it). WashU, for instance, has some poor ratings on the site, and the testimonials aren't exactly overflowing with positive commentaries; yet, WashU has a very strong academic reputation, one of the best in the country. Something doesn't compute there.

At any rate, I think there's a better way to compare medical schools. The factors that I looked as an applicant were the following:
1) Cost (does the quality/reputation of the school justify the cost?)
2) Location (safety of area, weather, entertainment options, general atmosphere of place)
3) Curriculum (PBL vs. traditional, compressed preclinical years or full 2 years, exam schedules and format, USMLE preparation, organ-systems based or discipline-based, etc.)
4) Research opportunities
5) Clinical training (hands-on vs. theoretical, level of responsibility given to med students, presence of VA and/or public hospitals, length of training, electives setup, etc.)
6) Residency placement
7) Gestalt feeling during interviews (VERY important)
8) Happiness of student body (do the students seem happy with their choice?)
9) Appearance of preclinical and clinical facilities (are the lecture halls and hospitals clean, modern, etc.?)
10) Prestige
11) Departmental strengths (e.g., internal medicine)--if you already know for sure what specialty is right for you, go to a medical school with a corresponding departmental strength
12) Average MCAT score and GPA for matriculants

wow, this is excellent. These surveys will definitely help me in making my decisions. Case looks particularly impressive by these surveys.

This is how you compare:

You go to your interviews and then see which one you would be happiest at for the next 4 years of your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
This is how you compare:

You go to your interviews and then see which one you would be happiest at for the next 4 years of your life.

right.. because in three hours i can find out everything i want to know about each school, and quiz a dozen students on the multiple measures of satisfaction included in these surveys.

Originally posted by exmike
right.. because in three hours i can find out everything i want to know about each school, and quiz a dozen students on the multiple measures of satisfaction included in these surveys.

use your crystal ball exmike. You were right about Lilstina.

Originally posted by exmike

There are a lot of aspects to happiness, you genious.

**PHEW... I was really mad so I took it down***

Originally posted by Kashue
use your crystal ball exmike. You were right about Lilstina.

oh yeah, who needs all this survey and campus visit baloney!

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt

Uh oh, I better start cheerleading more for Penn. If I don't make myself seem like the happiest person on Earth (like some other school's students do), nobody is coming.

Sorry, just poking fun. It's always good to have choices, but it's certainly hard to choose between them.

The purpose of the survey was never to have participants compare individual schools to each other.

If I am satisfied at School X, that's all that matters, not how satisfied I am at School X, compared to how I feel I would have been had I chosen to go to School Y.

If NYMC students are happier with their school than Harvard students are with theirs, then kudos to NYMC. It's all about how a school really is, compared to how a student thinks it should be, and this survey does a fine job of achieving its goal. If you are a student considering a particular school, you will tend to have a particular set of expectations. This survey analyzes if these expectations are met.

Hmm it's password protected.

Originally posted by Kashue
Hmm it's password protected.

+pissed+

Same here.
Access denied.
Can someone summarize for us?
Thank

I KNOW. we too-- access denied:(

Attached is the list I made of some of the schools I was looking at. Sorry about the password protect. Hope this helps Some of you.

Attachments

• surveys.pdf
    33.7 KB · Views: 265
I was able to access this page for months. Why the heck would they suddenly make it password protected? How are applicants supposed to make use of the study?

I'm going to call AMSA tomorrow and ask if I can become a premed member and get a password for that site. It's too bad that they password-protected it again.

some member should post the entire list, it was public at one time, that means that it is fair game as long as credit is given!

Bump, this helped me out a lot in making my decisions. Take it with a grain of salt though.

Thanks, this was a really interesting and helpful resource! Although wish there were more surveys completed for some schools...seems like a for few of them the people who filled out the survey either loved the school or hated it.

elias514 said:
3) Curriculum (PBL vs. traditional, compressed preclinical years or full 2 years, exam schedules and format, USMLE preparation, organ-systems based or discipline-based, etc.)

Great post. Excuse my utter ignorance, but what is a PBL curriculum as compared to a traditional curriculum? :confused:

Whitney said:
Great post. Excuse my utter ignorance, but what is a PBL curriculum as compared to a traditional curriculum? :confused:
It means Problem Based Learning. UTMB in Gavelston uses this type of learning system along with a revised traditional curriculum found in most schools in Texas. From what I remember from my interview there, PBL are small groups of students ~10 people and a professor learning through presentations of each students individual and group research. By talking to students there and what I have heard is that this is a very laid back way of learning material for med school. For me, that lack of structure is too difficult for me to handle, but I guess if you went to Montessori school all your life then PBL would be right up your alley! Just my $.02

I'm bumping this up again. I'm using it for applications, figured you could, too.

So, what was I doing 10 years ago...