How to contact a D.O for shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columbia09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you guys go about asking a D.O if you can shadow them? Did you call them up or meet them in person? Did any of them turn you down? And when should you start shadowing and how long should you shadow them for a LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

How did you guys go about asking a D.O if you can shadow them? Did you call them up or meet them in person? Did any of them turn you down? And when should you start shadowing and how long should you shadow them for a LOR?

Usually faxing a resume/cover letter works for most smaller places, but calling the front desk and asking the secretary is a good route. Odds are they've been contacted before so it's no surprise to them. I've had offices call me back when I faxed and called before usually within 1-2 days, but some you just never hear back from. One was even nice enough to let me know that the D.O. was too busy but I could shadow someone else in their facility. Time wise also varies...someone called back was mad at me for requesting the next week because they wanted 3-4 months in advance :confused: but some offices will say come in the next day, so whatever works for you and the doctor. People on SDN say that ask for a LOR when you feel they can comfortably write about your character and attributes from what they gather during your time spent together, so usually 15-20 hours is a good range to go for. These are all subjective and some may disagree with me so it all just really depends.

Go to Osteopathic.org to find a DO in your area.

Larger groups may make you take their HIPAA class before you can shadow so be aware that you may have pre-shadow prep an alllow for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the search. Are those numbers their house numbers? I'll feel weird if I called up their houses that's why I asked

I did the search. Are those numbers their house numbers? I'll feel weird if I called up their houses that's why I asked

There's this thing called Google.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Sometimes there is a state Osteopathic organization. For example, Oregon has OPSO the Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons of Oregon. The group has a pre-med meeting every month and can help students in Oregon (and SW Washington) get connected to DOs in the area to shadow.

From personal experience, the OPSO meetings are great.

You can also look at the list of physicians in nearby DOB/POBs. I did that online and went through the 30+ pages of physicians and called every DO I found.

Okay well is just calling up and saying I'm interested in becoming a D.O and I would like to shadow you for a couple of days okay? Or do I have to do what post 1 said to do?

Try finding a practice that has a teaching lab. I was able to shadow a D.O. at an Allergy center in my city, by calling the front desk and explaining that I was a candidate for med school. Make sure to ask for the office manager contact, because most likely they are the ones that set shadowing up. Also, check on http://www.healthgrades.com/ to get a list of doctors ready. I asked for a specific physician based off of the website when I called.

Okay well is just calling up and saying I'm interested in becoming a D.O and I would like to shadow you for a couple of days okay? Or do I have to do what post 1 said to do?

There are several threads about how to ask to shadow.