How to contact a mentor at a different institution for HHMI research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GenericApplicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in applying to the year long HHMI medical student research fellowship. I have researched some HHMI investigators on their research. My time is really limited as an M1, so I don't have time to read these researchers' recent publications. To apply to HHMI though, I need to have a mentor ready that will support me and help me develop a project.

How do I ask someone who is in a completely different state, hundreds of miles away, whether I can join their lab or not? I think its one thing to contact a professor at your university to do research with, but a totally different story with some of these HHMI investigators who live far away and will never see me probably ever. Should I just send an introductory email requesting if they have space for an HHMI fellow and then followup with an email where I talk about things that interested me after actually reading their publications, or should is it better to read their recent publications first and then send an email showing them I've read their papers? There are some investigators with really interesting research that'd I'd like to be apart of, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by sending an email where I am not sounding like I actually care. Simultaenously, I don't want to waste time reading publications in the hope of hooking up with these investigators only to have them reject my request.

I would appreciate any insights. Especially if you've gone through the HHMI fellowship program for medical students.

Members don't see this ad.