Summer research - leave home institution or stay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idemandeuphoria

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very well integrated in my home institution’s neuroscience/physiology department. I have a lot of amazing opportunities here. Staying over the summer would allow me to take on more leadership roles and get to know my PI even better. I’ve also been talking to a different professor about learning a new technique and trying it out over in his lab. However, I’ve considered applying to summer internships to see what other labs are like at different institutions, gain new experiences, and grow my intellectual perspectives.

I’m a second year student about to finish my third semester if that helps.

I don’t know which is more advisable and beneficial! Any advice is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think you would get a publication out of the current lab or the one you are considering on going to?

Just my two cents as an applicant, but I have received a good deal of positive feedback during interviews for seeking continuity in my current lab. Beyond looking good on an app, I think that continuity can give you more ownership and independence on a project, strengthen your relationship with your PI (great for a recommendation letter), and improve your likelihood of publishing. If you are really enjoying your current lab and have some interesting opportunities coming up (both of these seem true from your post), it may benefit you to continue there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think you would get a publication out of the current lab or the one you are considering on going to?

In my current lab, we are working on writing a paper right now and are hoping to submit it for review in January or February. If I am an author on it, I wouldn’t be a very significant author due to seniority reasons. If we need to make extensive revisions for it to be published, it might be beneficial to be there in the summer. If not, it shouldn’t matter.

Last edited:
Nothing to contribute to the thread but I need it known that I read @shacoleblanconly's response in Dr. Steve Bruhl's voice. blessed prof pic

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
From a personal growth perspective, variety is always useful. But from the perspective of preparing a competitive application, the consistency of just physically being around for a long enough period of time to see a project to fruition is more likely to result in tangible 'credits' like authorship on posters and journal articles. I'd lean towards staying at your home institution unless it's the case that you already have such an established relationship with the lab that you could slot right back into your current position in the fall after your 2 month SURF program was over.

Reactions: 1 user
Just my two cents as an applicant, but I have received a good deal of positive feedback during interviews for seeking continuity in my current lab. Beyond looking good on an app, I think that continuity can give you more ownership and independence on a project, strengthen your relationship with your PI (great for a recommendation letter), and improve your likelihood of publishing. If you are really enjoying your current lab and have some interesting opportunities coming up (both of these seem true from your post), it may benefit you to continue there.

So just to go contrary to the trend that is being stated, I've worked in five different labs and from them, I've gotten a huge variety of unique experiences that have been applauded in interviews. The way I maintained continuity and long-term involvement is that during the academic years I stayed in the same lab at my home institution, that was my thesis lab, etc. so that I spent 4 years somewhere (even though it was only technically 9 months a year, so closer to 3 years full time). One great thing about SURF projects (if you're really willing to throw yourself into them) is that you can often very much dictate the trajectory of your own work — basically, it will often be as successful as you make it. Yes, this might reduce your chances at publications but with an n = 1 I would absolutely not give up the experience of living and working in different labs all across the country on a huge variety of projects just for my name on more papers. It has given me a perspective that is so so so helpful and also fun to talk about in interviews. Also helps you learn what you don't like with more confidence. I would totally talk about more specifics in PM if you're interested I just have done some weird research things that might identify me if I say more here.

edit: also if you do well, that's more people to write meaningful rec letters!

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely wasn’t suggesting that staying in one lab is the end all be all for putting together a strong application. Variety is great too for the reasons mentioned, and honestly at the end of the day what’s probably far more important is how you write about the experiences, form a cohesive narrative, and speak about them thoughtfully in an interview...

People want to see that you can commit to scientific questions and be productive. You don’t need to have worked in the same lab for all of undergrad to achieve that. I had some really important and formative experiences by trying out different labs at my home institution and elsewhere - I found a mentor who I absolutely adored at an institution that I wanted to be for MD/PhD, and I worked in a couple labs that helped me define what I do not want in a mentor and/or environment. It’s worth casting out a net to see what your options are like. These options to explore research opportunities freely feel like they disappear exponentially as you move forward in training.

Just make sure when it’s all said and done that you’re able to show off the commitment and productivity mentioned above as well.

People want to see that you can commit to scientific questions and be productive. You don’t need to have worked in the same lab for all of undergrad to achieve that. I had some really important and formative experiences by trying out different labs at my home institution and elsewhere - I found a mentor who I absolutely adored at an institution that I wanted to be for MD/PhD, and I worked in a couple labs that helped me define what I do not want in a mentor and/or environment. It’s worth casting out a net to see what your options are like. These options to explore research opportunities freely feel like they disappear exponentially as you move forward in training.

Just make sure when it’s all said and done that you’re able to show off the commitment and productivity mentioned above as well.

Thank you! I met with a couple of my professors yesterday who completely agreed with you. Additionally, my home institution does not have a medical school and thus doesn’t do the research that I’m truly interested in. I am finishing up my applications now to apply externally!