How to contact PIs about summer research opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pullmyzincfinger

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming M1 already thinking about the summer between M1 and M2. Basically, I'm a non-traditional student who had started a career in bench research before medical school. I'm interested in exploring how that experience can be integrated with clinical practice. From my master's program, I have a few connections with MDs who also run laboratories. I would love to spend next summer working on a research project and seeing how the PIs juggle patients and wet labs.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for how to best email them. These are people that I don't know personally, but they know the lab I come from and they've probably seen some of my work. I know what I would write if I was applying for a position in the lab, but I'm not really sure how to write as a medical student. Do I just ask if they have a project available for me to work on, or should I propose one? Do I offer to procure my own funding (which I know is available)? Do I ask to shadow them? What is the general structure of these summer research positions?

PS I can't imagine getting good results after 6 weeks in a lab. Does this really happen?!

Members don't see this ad.

If you havent already started, you should probably wait. the school can help you

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's great you are thinking ahead!

I would caution you on sounding too enthusiastic and signing up for doing lab work during the school year. Make sure that your mentors know that you are an incoming student and want to talk about opportunities down the line for the summer. I have seen really smart students get super burned by taking on research during MS1 and either burning bridges or getting held back a year because they couldn't balance. I feel like MDs are generally more understanding than PhDs.

Your school may have some funded research spots via NIH or internal programs. National deadlines can be around January, some internal deadlines can be around March. Try as hard as you can to get something that is already set up - i.e. already IRB approval if it's translational, animal colonies are already set up, etc.

For most people, you do the most you can in the summer, data analysis through the year, maybe come back if you have another research rotation in 3rd year. Other than that, you are at the mercy of PIs throwing you on papers/posters. I could be wrong, but this is what I've heard.

Also, I made the mistake of sticking to one PI early on only to have some breakdown in communication later. I would say, until you are 100% good to go, like all your documents are submitted, you have a plan for research, you know exactly who you will be working with, etc. do NOT put all your eggs in one basket.

In the end, I was fine, but my project got pushed back almost 3 weeks and I haven't had time to really finish my data analysis part.

Reactions: 3 users
I have seen really smart students get super burned by taking on research during MS1 and either burning bridges or getting held back a year because they couldn't balance.

I've heard this advice before, and it's what I plan to do: develop a strategy that works for school before I start adding responsibilities. In my experience, research is literally a full-time job, so it's way too much to take on while I'm studying. Thanks for the tips.

Dear Dr ___
"I am an incoming MSI and am very interested in your research. Would you have a spot in the lab for a summer research student? My skills are ....."

Would you get into the research that we have in common? I don't want to come off like a fangirl, but the woman I'm emailing is totally my role-model and I'm extremely excited about her research.

Would you get into the research that we have in common? I don't want to come off like a fangirl, but the woman I'm emailing is totally my role-model and I'm extremely excited about her research.
There are two ways of approaching research
1) this is what I did when choosing both graduate schools and labs to rotate in: pick something you're really interested in, subject-wise.

2) this is what I did when choosing where to do a post-doc: learn something new.

The BIG danger about 1 is that the person you might be 100% interested in is a total prick.

Reactions: 1 users
There are two ways of approaching research
1) this is what I did when choosing both graduate schools and labs to rotate in: pick something you're really interested in, subject-wise.

2) this is what I did when choosing where to do a post-doc: learn something new.

The BIG danger about 1 is that the person you might be 100% interested in is a total prick.

This is great advice, thank you. I have definitely been assuming that the PI is a nice, reasonable person (which--I worked in science, I should know better). She works at an awesome research campus that's associated with a great university, so I think I'm just starry-eyed about all the implications: great research in a field I love, great reputation, she does research and clinic, etc. Hopefully she just is as cool as I imagine her to be, but I'll be a little more reserved in my first email so I can feel her out.

This is great advice, thank you. I have definitely been assuming that the PI is a nice, reasonable person (which--I worked in science, I should know better). She works at an awesome research campus that's associated with a great university, so I think I'm just starry-eyed about all the implications: great research in a field I love, great reputation, she does research and clinic, etc. Hopefully she just is as cool as I imagine her to be, but I'll be a little more reserved in my first email so I can feel her out.
I have to tell you that I love the screen name!!

Reactions: 1 user
Wait until you get settled in! Man you 2022'ers are trying too hard already.

At my school we had a meeting about it like in October and they gave us a list of labs and PI's looking for students interested in summer research. Even the fall was early for serious inquiries. Just take everything slowly, you'll get into the lab you're supposed to be in, in good time.

Edited because you'd never know English was my first language with my grammar...

Wait until you get settled in! Man you 2022'ers are trying too hard already.

At my school we had a meeting about it like in October and they gave us a list of labs and PI's looking for students interested in summer research. Even the fall was early for serious inquiries.

bd203957bb24c8dfb12407cc2c626a4c.jpeg

Listening to institutional advice is a recipe for mediocrity. Do what most people do, and you'll likely get results similar to what most people get.

I think someone like OP - who is legitimately interested in research and may want to have it be part of their future career - should start looking around and building those connections asap. Especially in basic science research where things move slower.

I'm an unabashed and incorrigible tryhard though, so that's just my opinion...

Reactions: 1 users
It's great you are thinking ahead!

For most people, you do the most you can in the summer, data analysis through the year, maybe come back if you have another research rotation in 3rd year. Other than that, you are at the mercy of PIs throwing you on papers/posters. I could be wrong, but this is what I've heard.

Don't mean to hijack OP's thread but I have a question about research as well.

How much better is it to have manuscripts on one's CV as opposed to posters? The numbers I see on the Charting Outcomes summary for abstracts, posters, and publications are in the teens for competitive specialties.

Should I spend more time working on one paper, or spend less time making several posters? (I am in a unique lab situation that will allow me to accomplish this.)

Thanks for the help