How to contact researchers from other institutions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Furious-omide

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm an M1 tentatively planning on applying IM (or derm but that's a whole different convo). I hope to match into one of the "competitive" residencies in the PA/New England area for family and career goals. I've been doing some research in a few fields with my home institution, but figured it wouldn't hurt to try and make some research connections with the health systems I want to match at.

Is it likely they will want to research with a medical student from outside their health system? If so, what's the best way to ask, find their contact info, or be ~interesting~ enough to get a response? Some places have faculty emails listed, but most don't. If you think it's a waste of time to try and connect / work with them (or that it wouldn't help for residency chances), that's fine too. Just figured I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it likely they will want to research with a medical student from outside their health system? If so, what's the best way to ask, find their contact info, or be ~interesting~ enough to get a response?
I think email still works. Look up any recent publications for contact info. Read up before you send an email so you don't sound as naive as a college freshman looking for a research spot... even if you are a M1.

Reactions: 2 users
I think email still works. Look up any recent publications for contact info. Read up before you send an email so you don't sound as naive as a college freshman looking for a research spot... even if you are a M1.
Thank you! I'll do that. I've been trying to work their past work into my interests. Just hoping someone cares enough to read and respond to a random email!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does your student dean know this person? What does the dean suggest?
They were more of the opinion that the institution itself didn't really matter, which I can see the point of. But if I ended up wanting like med-derm or something (of which there are only ~8 spots), I think that's when it would matter a bit more. Not make-or-break, but would be pretty helpful.

I'm asking around my program to see if they know any of the people from the ones I'm interested in!