How to deal with a 2 on 1 interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalla22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is my first interview and apparently two faculty members interview you at the same time. how do people feel about tihs? does it make things harder or more nerve wracking? any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

this is my first interview and apparently two faculty members interview you at the same time. how do people feel about tihs? does it make things harder or more nerve wracking? any advice?

ménage à trois my friend. ménage à trois. ;)

ménage à trois my friend. ménage à trois. ;)

Damn! You totally beat me to it.

As far as serious advice:

I had an interview like that. I made sure I sat where I could talk to both interviewers and make eye contact without herniating a cervical disc. When I answered a question I primarily addressed the asker, but made sure to look over and include the other interviewer as well. You know- basically don't panic and you'll be fine.

SF

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi it's not as bad as it sounds but it also depends on the interviewers. Some of them like to play good cop bad cop, some others just want to get to know you -- having 2 interviewers usually results in less "awkward pauses" since someone always has something to say. Just be ready like you would for a normal interview :)

Hi it's not as bad as it sounds but it also depends on the interviewers. Some of them like to play good cop bad cop, some others just want to get to know you -- having 2 interviewers usually results in less "awkward pauses" since someone always has something to say. Just be ready like you would for a normal interview :)

Agreed. Although admittedly mine was pretty tough, it definitely makes the time go by more quickly with an extra person in there talking as well.

Sometimes the two interviewers will have an open dialogue in response to what you have said. I think this makes them seem more friendly than if they were interviewing individually. Good luck!