How to Deal with idiots who ridicule pre-med?

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SoccerRef14

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As high school students, we all know them: the guys (or girls) who have something negative to say about us wanting to go into medicine. Many of us are content with just letting it go, however for those of us who aren't, how do we deal with it? What can we say to pre-med haters? Of course some who just hate education or are jealous can't be changed, but some are simply ignorant, and we can teach them. The question is how? How do each of you handle this?
 
keep-calm-and-carry-on-original.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As high school students, we all know them: the guys (or girls) who have something negative to say about us wanting to go into medicine. Many of us are content with just letting it go, however for those of us who aren't, how do we deal with it? What can we say to pre-med haters? Of course some who just hate education or are jealous can't be changed, but some are simply ignorant, and we can teach them. The question is how? How do each of you handle this?

Ignoring them sends a message.
 
As high school students, we all know them: the guys (or girls) who have something negative to say about us wanting to go into medicine. Many of us are content with just letting it go, however for those of us who aren't, how do we deal with it? What can we say to pre-med haters? Of course some who just hate education or are jealous can't be changed, but some are simply ignorant, and we can teach them. The question is how? How do each of you handle this?

Just don't discuss it, and they will not know.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not much you can do except be happy you have a goal and future whereas these kinds of people probably do not or they plan to get a BA in english
 
As high school students, we all know them: the guys (or girls) who have something negative to say about us wanting to go into medicine. Many of us are content with just letting it go, however for those of us who aren't, how do we deal with it? What can we say to pre-med haters? Of course some who just hate education or are jealous can't be changed, but some are simply ignorant, and we can teach them. The question is how? How do each of you handle this?

memes-karate-kid.jpg


First, stare at them for a solid few seconds. Tell them that after your many years of book learnin' and roundin', you'll be awaiting their arrival in your clinic, emergency department, operating room. Bonus points for using morgue or autopsy table.

Alternatively, grow some thick skin, shrug it off, and say: "Thank you very much. Have a nice life."
 
I have to tell you....if you're walking around saying "I'm a premed! I'm a premed!" They're not hatin', they're retaliatin'. Its great you have your world figured out, but to the rest of those kids who are still trying to decided what their favorite subject is, much less what they want to do with their life, you're going to come off as obnoxious. Instead of even mentioning premed, just say "Hey I'm taking hard classes and working hard because I want to go to a good college." That right there will minimize the trash talking you're going to see. Anyone left still opening their mouth will eventually pump your gas. Just had one of the bullies i went to middle school with pump my gas yesterday in fact. Karma will take care of them. You just worry about doing well.
 
Except you don't have your life figured out, you're in high school and everyone enters college as a premed before being weeded out and deciding on something else.

The reality is that right now you're just that one kid who's going to say crap like, " I might've not had a life in college and no friends, but once I'm an Anesthesiologist and making 300k a year it'll all be worth it!". It's frankly just annoying and makes you seem like a tool.
 
Just focus on what's important. Who cares what other people say or think? Just do what you need to do and don't worry about bs like this.
 
I think it's a lot worse in high school as it is in college. I remember in high school there were a bunch of people who could barely make it into a 4 year university just based on their ranks that were desperate to become cardiovascular surgeons or anesthesiologists just because of the money, making the other pre-meds look bad. As others have stated, just get into a decent university fist and let the pre-reqs weed out those who can't make it to med school
 
There's no reason to talk about being pre-med. Talk about what you actually plan to get a degree in or what school you're hoping to go to. If you talk about being a premed major you deserve ridicule.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As high school students, we all know them: the guys (or girls) who have something negative to say about us wanting to go into medicine. Many of us are content with just letting it go, however for those of us who aren't, how do we deal with it? What can we say to pre-med haters? Of course some who just hate education or are jealous can't be changed, but some are simply ignorant, and we can teach them. The question is how? How do each of you handle this?


I find trolling to be EXTREMELY fun in real life. Once you get past the point of caring what other people think about you, life becomes much easier, and extremely interesting. I find cynicism, sarcasm, and general snark(iness?) to be highly effective tools at blowing people off.

"Cool story Breh/Hansel" < Favorite
"Oh, I'm sorry. I know you are saying something, I can see your lips movingbuticant understand you cuz I don't speak LITTLE BI**H" < Second favorite <3
"God it must suck to be you"
"Have fun with your self centered life, I heard it went real well for the other megalomaniacal zealots.... oh wait" (they usually don't understand this to argue it's meaning - double insult)

Although if I'm busy with something ignoring works fairly well.

AS FOR trying to teach idiots, not your responsibility (entirely). If you have any iota of care for the person you will talk to them privately and explain things rationally. If people in school don't want to learn and DON'T learn basic reasoning skills how are you to teach that to them when their parents and teachers failed?

I refer you to my signature now.
 
I find trolling to be EXTREMELY fun in real life. Once you get past the point of caring what other people think about you, life becomes much easier, and extremely interesting. I find cynicism, sarcasm, and general snark(iness?) to be highly effective tools at blowing people off.

"Cool story Breh/Hansel" < Favorite
"Oh, I'm sorry. I know you are saying something, I can see your lips movingbuticant understand you cuz I don't speak LITTLE BI**H" < Second favorite <3
"God it must suck to be you"
"Have fun with your self centered life, I heard it went real well for the other megalomaniacal zealots.... oh wait" (they usually don't understand this to argue it's meaning - double insult)

Although if I'm busy with something ignoring works fairly well.

AS FOR trying to teach idiots, not your responsibility (entirely). If you have any iota of care for the person you will talk to them privately and explain things rationally. If people in school don't want to learn and DON'T learn basic reasoning skills how are you to teach that to them when their parents and teachers failed?

I refer you to my signature now.

Cool story breh.
 
Jk, found this quote:
"...nobody cares if your DO or MD (patients really do not know the difference, they see a doctor). And if some snooty MD’s give you crap, just say “sorry I can’t hear you, I’m too busy being a surgeon"

haters-nicki.gif


Seems similar, sorry about the gif, kinda low blow.
 
I have been trolling around the MD nd DO forums reading up about this (before) and probably not the best sources but people posted that a DO wouldn't match Allopathic surgery

Just depends on the location.

Do and md learn the exact same things, do learn afew extras too. Do's are getting into more and more allo spots each year.
UnLess my research is wrong.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD