How to decline an admission offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chjh27

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question about how to decline an admission offer. I actually emailed and left a message by phone. But since I did not get any response personally, I'm not sure if they took my name out from their list or not. Do I need to call them again and confirm with them? I am a bit afraid to call them again because I, myself actually feel really sorry about declining that offer. I hope some feedback from others who already done this properly. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I have a question about how to decline an admission offer. I actually emailed and left a message by phone. But since I did not get any response personally, I'm not sure if they took my name out from their list or not. Do I need to call them again and confirm with them? I am a bit afraid to call them again because I, myself actually feel really sorry about declining that offer. I hope some feedback from others who already done this properly. Thanks!

Email maybe to confirm.

I know exactly how you feel, I was in the exact same boat. I think as long as you wrote a nice letter/email, they expect people to decline their offers of acceptance, and it won't be a problem, they'll understand. If you want to spin it a bit just say you wanted to make sure your name was out of the pool so someone else would be able to get your spot when you confirm if they got your email before.

Members don't see this ad :)
E-mail and ask them for a confirmation e-mail politely.

Thank you all. After posting this thread I realized that this school was asking for a second deposit until May 1st. So if they don't get the 2nd deposit from me, they will automatically take my name out from their list.

You're right, but you should still let them know just to be polite. You don't want them picking up your file when you're applying to specialty school and have them remembering that they thought you were rude. Might not happen, but might as well play it safe.

Also if the school uses AADSAS check the status on it. If they did get your call/email it should be "Offer Declined" instead of "Accepted"/"Offer Accepted"...

An email is really all you need to do. It's the school's responsibility to log and document all correspondence from their applicants. You did your part, now just move on. What are they going to do? Force you to attend their school? :laugh: