I put down a deposit for a school, but got an interview offer from my top choice. Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dent on the Head

Reaction score
I will attend the interview, but if the admissions committee asks whether I have already been accepted to another school, should I tell them that I have and that I've made a deposit? I plan to inform them that their school is my top choice, but I'm concerned this might reflect poorly on my character, as it may seem like I'm 'hopping' around schools. Maybe I am thinking too much into this?

Members don't see this ad.

I will attend the interview, but if the admissions committee asks whether I have already been accepted to another school, should I tell them that I have and that I've made a deposit? I plan to inform them that their school is my top choice, but I'm concerned this might reflect poorly on my character, as it may seem like I'm 'hopping' around schools. Maybe I am thinking too much into this?
Thinking too much into it, and it’s faulty logic. You’re good. Just go be genuine in the interview

Reactions: 1 users
You are overthinking it a little. I admit many faculty could ask you where you also applied or where have you interviewed (despite my admonitions against these questions). You don't have to name names, but can say that while you have already been accepted at another school, you prefer [this program] because... unless something during your interview raised some concerns. It's the interview day's job to make sure you are more enthusiastic about their program over others.

Reactions: 1 users