How to enhance Pediatric Ophthalmology Rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TwanT21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello and Goody Day!
I'm an Orthoptist in the pediatric Ophthalmology department at a state teaching hospital. I have worked at a handful of different locations and i feel a common trend I've noted is that residents don't necessarily enjoy their pediatric ophthalmology rotation. From an orthoptics and/or strabismus standpoint is there any more I could offer that may enhance the time that residents spend in Peds? Would more hands on training with strabismus be beneficial? Cover testing? Sensory testing? Prism neutralization? Any insights are well appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Something that distinguishes great review courses is explaining complex topics in plain English, and avoiding using jargon to explain jargon. Assume the incoming residents don't know anything about strabismus, and explain everything in super simple terms without making any leaps in logic. Don't say, 'the left SO is out, so you're going to have this 3-step result.' Say, 'the left SO is out, so the eyes will do [this]. And when he tilts his head this way, because this eye is unable to to [this] and the other eye is unable to do [that], [this] is what happens.' It's really hard to explain peds topics, but taking it suuuuper slowly, and explaining little things along the way, will help a lot. These topics probably come naturally to you now, so you might not even realize that a resident doesn't understand them yet.

Also, take the time to critique their streaks and prism measurements, so they can improve.

Thank you for caring about teaching and for asking this important question - your residents will appreciate your help :)

Reactions: 1 user