How to explain bad grades and W's in interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myguy lolol

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Be honest. If you try to BS interviewers they'll know. Just go in and tell them exactly what happened and then explain what you learned from that experience. Mistakes are fine but they need to know you're not going to make them again because you've learned from them

Reactions: 1 user
So I've got a lot of less than ideal grades. F in orgo sophomore year (retaken for B), W in Calc Sophomore year (retaken for A). These were relatively early. Others are more recent. Senior year I withdrew from anatomy and then retook for a B- next semester of senior year. I then tried to take some college classes to get some kind of upward trend going post bacc. First semester I was studying for MCAT, working, and trying to take classes and just got overwhelmed. Ended with a W in a two credit immunology course which I never retook, a C, and a B. Took 5 more credits next semester and got an A in 2 credits and a B in the other 3. My overall GPAs are 3.3 cum and sci.

I just cannot see how to explain this to admissions committees. I feel like they are going to eat me alive especially with how recent a lot of these grades are. I did get a 510 MCAT which helps but am just getting a lot of anxiety thinking about this
You tell the truth

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I cannot imagine this whole truth concept going very well. I guess it's all I can really do though thank you for the input. Time to add a few more schools to the list...

They'll respect you for being honest. They may grill you but that's to see how you hold up under pressure.

Reactions: 1 user
I had some very questionable grades early on too and it came up in multiple interviews. Be truthful and it will be fine. If they offer you an interview then they probably already think that you are strong enough academically to succeed at their school. Be able to draw from the experience and be able to explain how you were able to improve on your second go around/MCAT

I had a couple of W's on my transcript but none of my interviewers asked me about it, but I would just be honest about it like everyone else said

If they offer you an interview then they probably already think that you are strong enough academically to succeed at their school.
:thumbup:

As with most interview questions the people interviewing you don't actually care about the content of the answer they just want to know how you answer the question. Which is why everyone is telling you to be honest, because medical schools are typically trying to find that quality in applicants. Decide on an answer (truthful or not) and just make that your story. They don't have lie detectors, but they do have confidence and communication skills detectors. Just answer the question and be prepared for follow up.