How to explain low MCAT score in an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Altary

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Then you shouldn't have taken the exam. Still you're fault. If you're gonna take the excuse path, be more comprehensive

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good enough to get an interview, low enough that it might come up and I might have to address it. I'm trying to be prepared.

You should not bring it up obviously, but if it does you should explain it honestly? Don't make excuses but tell them how you prepared and what happened

Reactions: 1 users
You should not bring it up obviously, but if it does you should explain it honestly? Don't make excuses but tell them how you prepared and what happened
Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Very sorry to hear about your mom. I hope that she is doing better!

My philosophy is that doing something like this was foolish; one should never take a high stakes, career deciding exam when one is not at one's best. I have a Faculty colelague would would reject you out of hand for doing this.

Now, while I disapprove of what you did, I don't consider it lethal, and I'd rely more on the interview to determine your status.

Oh, and my harsh colleague? He nearly always got outvoted by the Adcom.

Be aware that in med school, you don't have the luxury of running back home every time mom is sick. You have to be somewhat selfish.

So, if you're asked, tell the truth. The med school you interviewed at thought well enough of you to give you an II!

Now go read my guide to interviews.
Goro’s guide to interviews
Goro’s guide to YOUR interview questions-2016 edition

My mom was diagnosed with cancer a week before my exam and it affected my performance. Should I go ahead and mention this in an interview?

Reactions: 3 users
Even if you aren't making an excuse, and that's what happened, it still doesn't reflect well on you to say that imo, especially if you bring it up!