How to explain low MCAT score on a personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JakeSill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I explain a low MCAT score on a personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
impossible. You can't. :(

Last edited:
If your MCAT is below your desired schools' arbitrary cutoff, then there's a good chance nobody will ever read your personal statement anyhow. In any event, unless you have a very good and exceptional explanation, I doubt it would do much good anyhow. As others have suggested, your better bet is to retake it. If there was some unusual circumstance that resulted in an unduly low score and that circumstance is now resolved, then you should do better the second time around. Then you can offer some explanation for your initially poor performance if you feel so inclined.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't make any excuses. If your score is low, retake and get a better score after fixing the issues. Do not even mention the mcat. Answer the question and do nothing else: why do you want to become a doctor?

How do I explain a low MCAT score on a personal statement?

The purpose of the personal statement is to answer Why Medicine?. It's not used to make excuses or point to weaknesses in application. Do not address it unless you are specifically asked in interviews... and even then, be honest and don't make excuses.

If it's low CARS and you're ESL, then it's forgiven by some schools, no need to explain. Otherwise, retake it!
I have a super low CARS (below all school CARS average) and I'm ESL, no one ever asked me any questions regarding that score.

do NOT under any circumstances use the personal statement to explain a low MCAT score. Yes the MCAT matters. how about instead you focus on personal qualities/life stories/life circumstances that give context to a lower score. for example, did you work full-time in college? underprivileged? family illness? those types of situations can provide context for lower scores. but also be reflective, what did this teach you?

If it's low CARS and you're ESL, then it's forgiven by some schools, no need to explain. Otherwise, retake it!
I have a super low CARS (below all school CARS average) and I'm ESL, no one ever asked me any questions regarding that score.

Same! However, I did get asked why my CARS was lower than average...