how to feign interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wxl31

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a shy person when placed on the spot, and i tend to w/draw. this doesn't mean that i'm not interested in something; i just dont do a good job of outwardly expressing interest. how do you folks do it?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm a shy person when placed on the spot, and i tend to w/draw. this doesn't mean that i'm not interested in something; i just dont do a good job of outwardly expressing interest. how do you folks do it?

I always keep eye contact, keep nodding, and say "I understand" or "Yes" at appropriate moments. Don't know if that implies 'interest', but it does let the doc know that I'm paying attention.

That was basically my question in my "So Angry" AKA "So burnt out" thread. Your question seems to be more about showing interest that really is there (a much easier task).

I do this by not holding back. Everybody has a question they want to ask but suppress; I just learned to Feel the Fear and Do it, Anyway (a great self-help book I never read because the title was inspiring enough :D). Ask even though your heart is pounding, questions are generally welcomed so your confidence should build as time goes on. If you don't understand - say so, and if you do rephrase to confirm you understand. This is good for both showing interest and learning. Eye contact is also critical.

And if you are really, really shy, start by just taking notes in a little book until you get bolder - you will need to become unshy to be a house officer, anyway.

Hopefully Dr. Desai will show up with his usually insightful tips.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I ask a stupid question, I just suck up the embarrassment and say, "Wow, that was a stupid question, and I'm so sorry I just asked it."

I can feign "showing interest" but am unable to feign laughing at stupid jokes and comments made by residents and lecturers alike..

I can see that they don't like it when I just smile and nod my head, but can't they just know that I'm more mature and am not amused by *****ic stuff?:smuggrin:

It doesn't help that more than 80% of the people in my class need to grow up, and fast!

you are going to get it over it. you have to get it into your head that these people will not remember your name 5 minutes after the rotation is over, (although they may have never known your name in the first place). its like actors on stage and an audience...who gives a **** if they dont like the show, they will leave after the show is over and you will have already taken their ticket money.

I can feign "showing interest" but am unable to feign laughing at stupid jokes and comments made by residents and lecturers alike..

I can see that they don't like it when I just smile and nod my head, but can't they just know that I'm more mature and am not amused by *****ic stuff?:smuggrin:

It doesn't help that more than 80% of the people in my class need to grow up, and fast!

Whatever, you know that fart jokes = COMIC GOLD!!! :laugh:

just admit it: you can't help but smile :D

Whatever, you know that fart jokes = COMIC GOLD!!! :laugh:

just admit it: you can't help but smile :D

Yup, fart jokes are funny, but it's really hard to laugh at jokes like "You're blushing, hm, that means that either you're drunk or you've Cushings..haha":smuggrin:

Yup, fart jokes are funny, but it's really hard to laugh at jokes like "You're blushing, hm, that means that either you're drunk or you've Cushings..haha":smuggrin:

yeah, well I wouldn't make a lame joke like that anyway :thumbdown:

I wouldn't laugh either. Instead, the next time someone tells a dud like that pretend like you're driving a car slamming on the breaks and crash into a wall - complete with sound effects... lets them know their joke sucks in an "oh so subtle" way :laugh:

jd

yeah, well I wouldn't make a lame joke like that anyway :thumbdown:

I wouldn't laugh either. Instead, the next time someone tells a dud like that pretend like you're driving a car slamming on the breaks and crash into a wall - complete with sound effects... lets them know their joke sucks in an "oh so subtle" way :laugh:

jd

I would hear my evaluation making a screeching sound too:D

to the OP, this is the smartest question any newly minted 3rd year can ask

being shy myself, i know what youre going through, the danger of being shy is that some of my evals would say that "green started as kind of shy and quiet but as the rotation went green was alot more open,friendly and got along great with the team and was very efficient on rounds.blah blah". turn a "character flaw" into improvement. why? because extroverts take it all, and introverts are the losers. you may have a quiet personality but that doesn't mean you dont want to learn or are not interested in a topic...but to housestaff, quiet demeanor are shyness are "bad signs" and mistaken for just those things.

i usually would smile as much as possible, especially in the morning when i saw the interns rounding, that usually seemed to make them smile too, try to be as friendly with the interns as possible, they are not that far removed from you, having just graduated from med school and they actually can influence your residents' evaluation which will eventually trickle down to the attending.. if there are imaging/studies that need to be followed up, take the initiative to find out the results and once you know them, let the intern know. if your teams asks you if you want to eat lunch,get a soda with them,whatever, go go go! those little things help build up the relationship.

and keep track of things taht go on with your patients, like on medicine, if my patient had lyme dz and complete heart block and my intern forgot about that relationship,i did some searching online and found a paper that described and gave it to them. they usually found those helpful.

but i think they best way from a shy person's perspective, is try to find ways to help. and dont do with any intention of getting Honors,do it b'c you really want to help. if you do it for the latter region, you will come across as insincere, which is something i could smell when i was 3rd and see it know in some 3rd years. personally ,i hated just standing around, if the intern is about to do a procedure in a sterile fashion, askthem what they need fromt he stockroom and then go find those things

anyway, good luck and enjoy 3rd year as much as possible