How to figure science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carmstrong

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I was wondering how to find out what your science GPA is. I know how to find my GPA, but my question is what classes are factored into this. Are they only the core classes required for med school, or all hard sciences, or even more broad than that. For instance, does this cover classes such as Calculus or even psycology? Any insight would help, thanks. (Should I have this number for admissions, or will they figure it for me?)

Members don't see this ad.

sorry to bust your bubble, but EVERYTHING is included, including classes you failed, retook, withdrew from, did not complete, etc... get a hold of a AACOMAS or AMCAS application packet or visit the websites for indo on how to download the application package and it will show you exactly how to figure gpa. IT ALL COUNTS AGAINST YOU, BABY.

Not true, 8404,

AMCAS figures all classes into the GPA. If you retake a class, both are figured in the AMCAS. However, AACOMAS looks at the newest grade if you retake it due to a low grade(i.e.--made a D or F) only the retake is figured into the AACOMAS GPA. Both times appear on the academic record, but only the newer grade is calculated. Trust me, I made a D in Freshman Botany, but only the retake appears on my AACOMAS profile.

To answer carmstrong's original question, it depends on if you're applying AMCAS or AACOMAS. AMCAS science GPA is BCPM (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math). ALL classes which fall in these categories are included in sci. GPA. The AACOMAS science GPA doesn't include Math. AACOMAS sci. GPA is BIOTSP, which stands for Biology, Inorganic Chem, Organic Chem, Biochem (T), Other Science (S), and Physics. Once again, all classes in these categories count, with the exception of retakes.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Boomer (edited September 24, 1999).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. I got a B in lecture and lab second semester chemistry and I was just wondering if my science GPA would only be those classes needed for med school, or all classes. Thanks for the input. This makes me happy as it helps to ofset those two B's.

The simplest thing for you to do, if you want the exact answer to "What is my (science) GPA?" is to download AACOMAS By Computer (or the AMCAS equivalent). It's a program (for PC) that is used to process your application. You can use it to give yourself a 'heads up' on what your GPA is. Get a copy at http://www.petersons.com/sites/extras/apps/aacom.html .

By the way, the computer application (ABC) will automatically (if you enter your grades properly) ignore all 'F's if you re-took the course; it will just use the new grade in the GPA calcs.

There is a problem with W (withdrawn) courses as well (at least, there was a problem with last years version of the application). You should leave the credits as "0", or it will use those credits in your Total Credits, while giving you zero quality points for the course, thus artificially lowering your GPA.

Good luck!

------------------
-PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

"Never give in, never give in,
never, never, never, never..."

-Sir Winston Churchill, 1944