How to find experience opportunities (especially veterinary)

Started by catnips
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

catnips

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!
I need help!! 🙁 so i managed to get a small animal vet to let me shadow her. It was cool but most of the time i just kinda stand around and do nothing. I ask if they need me to help cleaning or do labor and sometimes i get some stuff but mostly no. My vet is really nice and awesome but she also doesnt work many hours so most of the time im stuck in the back, not really getting to see anything and feel like an intruder waiting for her. So I really want to quit shadowing there but I cannot possibly find any opportunities! I live in NYC and emailed many, many vets. All no reply or negative reply. I got 2 half days of large animal vet shadowing and loved that as the vet explained to me what she was doing and never made me kinda just wait around. But this is in another state so I couldnt shadow her for a long time.

I need suggestions guys, should I just stick with it and accumulate hours with my vet now? I like her but I also want to enjoy this experience. Getting that many hours when you are doing nothing and bored is difficult. I volunteer at shelters and have a lot of equine experience and I will apply to ny aquarium (which has some vet experience too) but how can I find like a vet assistant volunteering? I am willing to clean kennels, feed animals, sweep around just not awkwardly waiting around 🙁 How did you guys find yours? Am I the only one having such trouble with this? 🙁

Ugh, I am sorry for the long post. But I need suggestions as this became a big obstacle for me as I will be applying next year. And also we need a recommendation letter from a vet I worked at least 250 hours with so I am freaking out.
Thank you 🙂
 
Hi everyone!
I need help!! 🙁 so i managed to get a small animal vet to let me shadow her. It was cool but most of the time i just kinda stand around and do nothing. I ask if they need me to help cleaning or do labor and sometimes i get some stuff but mostly no. My vet is really nice and awesome but she also doesnt work many hours so most of the time im stuck in the back, not really getting to see anything and feel like an intruder waiting for her. So I really want to quit shadowing there but I cannot possibly find any opportunities! I live in NYC and emailed many, many vets. All no reply or negative reply. I got 2 half days of large animal vet shadowing and loved that as the vet explained to me what she was doing and never made me kinda just wait around. But this is in another state so I couldnt shadow her for a long time.

I need suggestions guys, should I just stick with it and accumulate hours with my vet now? I like her but I also want to enjoy this experience. Getting that many hours when you are doing nothing and bored is difficult. I volunteer at shelters and have a lot of equine experience and I will apply to ny aquarium (which has some vet experience too) but how can I find like a vet assistant volunteering? I am willing to clean kennels, feed animals, sweep around just not awkwardly waiting around 🙁 How did you guys find yours? Am I the only one having such trouble with this? 🙁

Ugh, I am sorry for the long post. But I need suggestions as this became a big obstacle for me as I will be applying next year. And also we need a recommendation letter from a vet I worked at least 250 hours with so I am freaking out.
Thank you 🙂

Hey catnips!

I would suggest looking at other sources of veterinary experience that is "out of the norm." For instance, I know that there is at least one zoo in the NYC area. Probably, you could contact them to see if the zoo vet would be willing to let you shadow. Also, some large cities offer spay/neuter clinics. Maybe, you could volunteer there. Since you have a decent amount of equine experience, you could try to shadow racetrack veterinarians near NYC. Oh, emergency veterinary clinic usually have several vets to shadow. Basically, continue to call as many veterinarians/vet venues as possible.

When are you thinking of applying to veterinary school?

I would keep shadowing the veterinarian that you like. It is always good to stick with someone that knows you well enough to write a letter of recommendation (several months if not years). Many admissions committee members like to see commitment with one or more veterinarians (not just a few weeks before you submit the VMCAS).

For me, I asked around and was persistent about finding a veterinarian who would allow me to shadow them. Google Maps always helps. I looked on Google Maps and read whether or not the veterinarian allowed shadowing. Plus, I looked at the client feedback about the veterinarians as well.
 
There are numerous opportunities in the area: ASPCA and other shelters, CP and Bronx Zoos, NY Aquarium, 100's of practices, etc... Just take your pick!

Sending an email is not always adequate. Make calls and/or arrive in person. Be pushy 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Stop emailing and pick up the phone or (better yet) go in person with a resume in hand to these places. Talk to their office manager or equivalent and explain to them that you're interested in going to veterinary school and would like to see what kinds of things they do. They'll probably say they'll call you back but follow up (in person or over the phone) regularly until you get an in or they tell you to go away 😉 Most clinics and vets that I know are too busy for email and that's the easiest form of communication to ignore.
 
Find out about the medical staff at the shelters where you volunteer, and see if they have a program set up specifically for pre-vet students, or even if a vet there would be willing to let you assist. The majority of my vet experience is coming from two shelters, and so far I've had a lot more opportunity to actually do things than I have as a volunteer for private practice, because the shelters don't have the insurance issues that private practice tends to. I have a similar experience with the private practice I've been at this summer - most of the time I'm stuck standing around because I'm not allowed to do much and they already have someone to clean kennels.
 
I cant thank you guys enough.
For some reason, I thought email was the best form because I wouldn't be intruding as much. I am always worried about intruding in people's businesses so I thought being pushy might come off as rude. Poor judgment on my part. 🙁 I will be more pushy -although that really isnt a strength of mine.

I do volunteer at ASPCA and a local city shelter - city shelter doesnt allow shadowing and i tried ASPCA but will try again. Im glad to hear shelters may let you try more stuff so thanks ill go that route since thats kinda what I wanna do in future anyways.

Thank you everyone!
 
Oh and im applying next year but im more hopeful for the year after. I dont think ill have enough hours by next year. 🙁

I tried zoos but they wanted you to have an extensive insurance so didnt work out. I applied to ny aquarium tho, crossing my fingers for that one!

Thank you again! I'll quit emailing around and be more pushy 🙂