How To Find Graduate Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AttemptingScholar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So apparently I overestimated myself because my cycle's not going so well and I need to start thinking about my gap year plans. It looks like I can take two years off, the first piece of advice for reapplicants, because my MCAT will still be good at most schools in 2021 and that score was probably the strongest part of my application.

As far as I can tell, my issue is likely my BCPM GPA, which means to fix it I need to take more science classes after I graduate in May. I'd welcome any advice anyone on how to find good programs. Unlike med school admissions, this is so decentralized. I basically have to think of schools and Google them to see if they have science programs and if it's more academic (rather than to prepare for a specific healthcare career).

How do I find relevant Masters, preferably ones that take my MCAT? Are postbacs a good idea even though I've taken all the prereqs? What about things like the Extension programs?

Trying to keep my head up, even though I'm disappointed and embarrassed right now. Any advice on next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What's your sGPA right now?
Around 3.5, trend downward (this last semester was by far the worst). I can try and turn it around this next semester, of course.
I applied to less selective (relatively) schools, but I guess my MCAT didn't make up for it. Still, it's not so low as to keep me out of Masters, I don't think.

Members don't see this ad :)
So apparently I overestimated myself because my cycle's not going so well and I need to start thinking about my gap year plans. It looks like I can take two years off, the first piece of advice for reapplicants, because my MCAT will still be good at most schools in 2021 and that score was probably the strongest part of my application.

As far as I can tell, my issue is likely my BCPM GPA, which means to fix it I need to take more science classes after I graduate in May. I'd welcome any advice anyone on how to find good programs. Unlike med school admissions, this is so decentralized. I basically have to think of schools and Google them to see if they have science programs and if it's more academic (rather than to prepare for a specific healthcare career).

How do I find relevant Masters, preferably ones that take my MCAT? Are postbacs a good idea even though I've taken all the prereqs? What about things like the Extension programs?

Trying to keep my head up, even though I'm disappointed and embarrassed right now. Any advice on next steps would be greatly appreciated.
When exactly did you take the MCAT? You say you can take 2 gap years because your score will still be good in 2021, but if you take 2 gap years you will be starting school in 2022, in which case I am pretty sure that there are some schools that will want a score no earlier than July or August 2019 (some schools go by opening of application cycle while others go by matriculation date)!!

Be sure to check the schools you are interested in before committing to the second year, or you might receive an unpleasant surprise in the summer of 2021!! :)

Last edited:
When exactly did you take the MCAT? You say you can take 2 gap years because your score will still be good in 2021, but if you take 2 gap years you will be starting school in 2022, in which case I am pretty sure that there are some schools that will want a score no earlier than July or August 2019 (some schools go by opening of application cycle while others go by matriculation date)!!

Be sure to check the schools you are interested in before committing to the second year, or you might receive an unpleasant surprise in the summer of 2021!! :)
Yep, it was the first thing I checked! I took it May 2019, so it will keep me out of some schools but not most.

Reactions: 1 user
Around 3.5, trend downward (this last semester was by far the worst). I can try and turn it around this next semester, of course.
I applied to less selective (relatively) schools, but I guess my MCAT didn't make up for it. Still, it's not so low as to keep me out of Masters, I don't think.
I think your numbers could be fine. Grad school is tough and not a backup plan to fix sGPA. Only do a Masters degree if you are curious about the subject. If you don’t get accepted this cycle, rather than jumping into a graduate program I would ask feedback from schools, fix any deficiencies and apply again.

Reactions: 1 users
I think your numbers could be fine. Grad school is tough and not a backup plan to fix sGPA. Only do a Masters degree if you are curious about the subject. If you don’t get accepted this cycle, rather than jumping into a graduate program I would ask feedback from schools, fix any deficiencies and apply again.

Thanks for the input! Do you think the same about postbacs and xtensions?

If you have already taken your prereqs, a formal postbacc doesn't make much sense. You got two options - take some higher level science classes at a local four year university or do an SMP. Your gpa is not the worst in the world, and I think taking some upper level courses and succeeding would help show continued academic success.

Other things to consider: What is your MCAT? Where did you apply? School lists highly matter. How was your writing? When were you complete? What ECs do you have? Answering some of those questions will help give a more complete picture of your app and will allow for some more targeted advice.

If you have already taken your prereqs, a formal postbacc doesn't make much sense. You got two options - take some higher level science classes at a local four year university or do an SMP. Your gpa is not the worst in the world, and I think taking some upper level courses and succeeding would help show continued academic success.

Other things to consider: What is your MCAT? Where did you apply? School lists highly matter. How was your writing? When were you complete? What ECs do you have? Answering some of those questions will help give a more complete picture of your app and will allow for some more targeted advice.

My MCAT was 514 and I applied to my six state schools (CA resident) and 21 low/mid-tier private schools (Tulane, as an example). I spent months on my writing and had many people check it, so Ithought it was good. Might use a professional service to help me next time. I have two years research, few hundred hours each volunteering at two different hospitals (patient contact), two fun hobbies as convo starters, volunteering in the lgbt community, and leadership in various clubs.

Your app sounds fine in brief but writing is the most important part of app and I suggest re-evaluating your activities/essays by yourself in combination of your school list (having TOO many people read it might diminish your own voice). Think about what kind of medical student you want to be and get to know the schools. Read about each school's mission and imagine how you might fit in. (Do you want to do lots of research? Community outreach? Teaching?) Use your experiences to back up WHY you have the goals you do.
CA is also just tough, keep your chin up.

Reactions: 2 users
My MCAT was 514 and I applied to my six state schools (CA resident) and 21 low/mid-tier private schools (Tulane, as an example). I spent months on my writing and had many people check it, so Ithought it was good. Might use a professional service to help me next time. I have two years research, few hundred hours each volunteering at two different hospitals (patient contact), two fun hobbies as convo starters, volunteering in the lgbt community, and leadership in various clubs.

Agree with Flying Penguin on all accounts. You definitely don’t need to splurge on a professional service.

I think that bulking up your GPA will help. CA is an unlucky state to apply from. I would also consider adding in some of the top DO schools if you reapply, if you’d be open to it.