How to find out number of residency seats offered in Match by a Program ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyneuron

cyneuron
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am really not able to figure out that where does a Program lists the number of residency seats offered in Match.

I couldn't find out on ERAS or FREIDA website. Are we supposed to visit each program website to figure it out ? That would be weird and incomplete and tiring.

And why is it important to know ? One may choose not to apply to a Program offering very few seats compared to a program with large number of seats and thus be able to save the precious dollars.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I am really not able to figure out that where does a Program lists the number of residency seats offered in Match.

I couldn't find out on ERAS or FREIDA website. Are we supposed to visit each program website to figure it out ? That would be weird and incomplete and tiring.

And why is it important to know ? One may choose not to apply to a Program offering very few seats compared to a program with large number of seats and thus be able to save the precious dollars.

Thanks in advance.

At this time in the season the only way I believe is to visit each site. Some programs have their info on FREIDA but some don't keep it updated or have the info entered at all. Later on in the season it gets put into the NRMP how many spots they are entering into the match (though this is probably too late for your purpose of applying).

At this time in the season the only way I believe is to visit each site. Some programs have their info on FREIDA but some don't keep it updated or have the info entered at all. Later on in the season it gets put into the NRMP how many spots they are entering into the match (though this is probably too late for your purpose of applying).

Its weird. Number of residency seats offered is one of the important piece of information for an applicant to be able to decide whether to apply to that program or not.

So i guess i will have to shell out more dollars, since I don't want to base my decision on information from program website (which may not be updated) and later on regret.

But it is a serious flaw. Hope ERAS, AAMC and NRMP will take a look at it....:mad:

Look up the program on the ACGME website. It lists the number of allowed and filled spots at each PGY level for every program.

The PD can always elect not to offer all those spots in the match (this is rare for categorical spots but common for prelims), howver they cannot go over their allotment without ACGME approval.

Look up the program on the ACGME website. It lists the number of allowed and filled spots at each PGY level for every program.

Even ACGME website doesn't has number of seats. I may be missing something here. Please direct if you know it specifically.

Thanks.

The PD can always elect not to offer all those spots in the match (this is rare for categorical spots but common for prelims), howver they cannot go over their allotment without ACGME approval.

Its understandable. But at least an applicant should have an initial idea of how many seats to expect.

Last edited:
At the end of this past match they published the programs that filled and what the whoa was. Can't find the link for 2011 only but this link gives quota and fill stats from 2007-2011 so it's just as good if not better since it shows the trend. No way to know of they will add more for this year yet though.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/programsresults2007-2011.pdf

Its understandable. But at least an applicant should have an initial idea of how many seats (and thus competition) and program's worth for effort, to expect.

While I agree you should be able to have access to this info, bear in mind that number of seats is a poor correlation to how competitive a program is. You can find many uber competitive programs with eg 8-10 seats and many noncompetitive places with 1-2 seats.

While I agree you should be able to have access to this info, bear in mind that number of seats is a poor correlation to how competitive a program is. You can find many uber competitive programs with eg 8-10 seats and many noncompetitive places with 1-2 seats.

I agree. I think I concluded that without thinking much.

But this is really a needed information. I don't know why hasn't ERAS thought about it.

At the end of this past match they published the programs that filled and what the whoa was. Can't find the link for 2011 only but this link gives quota and fill stats from 2007-2011 so it's just as good if not better since it shows the trend. No way to know of they will add more for this year yet though.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/programsresults2007-2011.pdf

Got it man. Thanks a lot for the link. Though its really hectic to go through each page on this big PDF. I will publish the final list in Neurology if I decide to go through it.

Thanks once again. It provides at least a partial solution to the problem.

I'm a bit confused, as this information is freely available in FREIDA.

Search for a program, and click it's link.

Then click the General Information tab at the top. You'll see a table of the slot at each PGY level.

or are you looking for something else?

I'm a bit confused, as this information is freely available in FREIDA.

Search for a program, and click it's link.

Then click the General Information tab at the top. You'll see a table of the slot at each PGY level.

or are you looking for something else?

Absolutely right Sir !!! (Don't know how could I miss it...)

Thanks a lot for pointing to that.

Though this information isn't available for all programs.

(Update - Actually this General Information tab isn't available for most of Programs. So again, the problem remains the same. I am really surprised that ERAS doesn't provide this information right on their website at the time of applying to programs)

Last edited:
I am not sure whether to rely on FREIDA website for the purpose of applying decisions.

For example, in Neurology Program search, it shows that in Georgia, Georgia Health Sciences University Program isn't accepting applications for 2012-2013. But in fact it is accepting applications as shown on ERAS 2012 website.