How to gain research experience? (online student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stmorri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all. Just discovered this site, read through many of the threads and found some great information.

Here is my situation: I am a senior in psychology and I will have my bachelor's this fall. My degree is online from the University of LA at Monroe. I plan to apply to several counseling (and probably Clinical) psychology PhD programs in Dec/Jan. I know that research experience is HIGHLY valued and sadly I have none yet. I have emailed three professors at a local university in Chattanooga but have recieved no replies yet.

Here is the one I just sent today. Feedback and not-to-harsh criticism is welcome.

Dr. Johnson,
I am a senior in psychology at ULM, completing my bachelor's degree this fall online. I live in the Chattanooga are and I am planning to apply to a PhD program in Counseling psychology. I am looking for an opportunity to gain research experience which will help make my application more competitive, as well as giving me insight into graduate research. I am willing to do any part of the research which I may be qualified for. I can perform data entry, PychInfo article searing, conducting classroom surveys or experiements, etc. I have a very flexible schedule this fall and a large amount of time to commit to this. I believe we have mutual interests in Counseling Psychology and Sports Psychology. I was particularly interested in your interest in athletes and doping. I am a avid marathoner and also used to follow the Tour de France when I was an amateur cyclist. I read Lance Armstrong's War which discusses the doping controversy prevalent within pro cycling.
I would be happy to provide a resume of my work experience and provide some academic references from ULM.
Please let me know if you wish to discuss this further.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

I emailed a professor at my university asking for guidance and he had no useful advice. (He even said that undergrads on campus rarely get research experience at ULM).

I'm looking for any suggestions on how to gain this experience. I'm even willing to commute ~2 hours to Knoxville,Atlanta,Nashville a few times per week. I appreciate any information or direction.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you'll want to consider that it's summer now, so a lack of replies could mean that professors are not working or not sure about fall openings yet. Also, I'll just project (from my own experience) and say that they will likely fill their labs with their own students as a priority. So, you really want to appeal to someone who could use a lot of help by emphasizing that you're willing to make a significant commitment by being there for more than a semester, that you have a schedule that accommodates their lab (which you did say, somewhat), and that you have the skills that they are looking for.

Also, I'll say from experience that you want to emphasize that you can contribute something significant to their lab by volunteering. In other words, that you will make it easier for them to publish something, whether that is by contributing expertise, working your butt off, or (maybe most appealing) suggesting that you want to contribute your own ideas to a study/poster/paper. You want them to know that you'll help move their career forward.

You've done a little bit of these things, so I would just be more explicit about saying them outright or when s/he responds. Also, I think your distance is going to count against you--even if you're more than willing to commute, they will be suspicious of your ability/willingness to do so.

I did what you are trying to do--I volunteered with a lab that was far away from where I lived, at a different university. It was a perfect fit as far as research interest--I had expertise in the area and had experience with their protocols. It took a while to find the lab, though. When I did, I moved there and worked several days per week. It was tough, but it can be done. I was also lucky that I had a very good working relationship with the lab members and PI. Ultimately, the PI encouraged me to do my own study and we scratched each others' backs. It made for the beginnings of a great long-term relationship.

Greetings all. Just discovered this site, read through many of the threads and found some great information.

Here is my situation: I am a senior in psychology and I will have my bachelor's this fall. My degree is online from the University of LA at Monroe. I plan to apply to several counseling (and probably Clinical) psychology PhD programs in Dec/Jan. I know that research experience is HIGHLY valued and sadly I have none yet. I have emailed three professors at a local university in Chattanooga but have recieved no replies yet.

Here is the one I just sent today. Feedback and not-to-harsh criticism is welcome.

Dr. Johnson,
I am a senior in psychology at ULM, completing my bachelor's degree this fall online. I live in the Chattanooga are and I am planning to apply to a PhD program in Counseling psychology. I am looking for an opportunity to gain research experience which will help make my application more competitive, as well as giving me insight into graduate research. I am willing to do any part of the research which I may be qualified for. I can perform data entry, PychInfo article searing, conducting classroom surveys or experiements, etc. I have a very flexible schedule this fall and a large amount of time to commit to this. I believe we have mutual interests in Counseling Psychology and Sports Psychology. I was particularly interested in your interest in athletes and doping. I am a avid marathoner and also used to follow the Tour de France when I was an amateur cyclist. I read Lance Armstrong's War which discusses the doping controversy prevalent within pro cycling.
I would be happy to provide a resume of my work experience and provide some academic references from ULM.
Please let me know if you wish to discuss this further.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

I emailed a professor at my university asking for guidance and he had no useful advice. (He even said that undergrads on campus rarely get research experience at ULM).

I'm looking for any suggestions on how to gain this experience. I'm even willing to commute ~2 hours to Knoxville,Atlanta,Nashville a few times per week. I appreciate any information or direction.

1. Its summer, so people will be on vacation and./or otherwise not in the office as much as normal

2. Professors will, and are obligated to, fill vacancies from within their university whenever possible. Thus, you should probably look at hospitals and med centers. Grady Memorial/Emory's health system likely has something you could do. Vandy med maybe too.

3. 4-5 months will not be nearly enough time for you to get any substantial or meaningful research experiences (sometimes it takes that long to get up to speed on things in the lab, etc). At least nothing that Ph.D clinical and counseling programs will value. It will only show that you didn't have enough interest to seek out research until the 11th hour. That will not look very good. Thus, you are gonna have to wait another year before applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Its summer, so people will be on vacation and./or otherwise not in the office as much as normal

2. Professors will, and are obligated to, fill vacancies from within their university whenever possible. Thus, you should probably look at hospitals and med centers. Grady Memorial/Emory's health system likely has something you could do. Vandy med maybe too.

3. 4-5 months will not be nearly enough time for you to get any substantial or meaningful research experiences (sometimes it takes that long to get up to speed on things in the lab, etc). At least nothing that Ph.D clinical and counseling programs will value. It will only show that you didn't have enough interest to seek out research until the 11th hour. That will not look very good. Thus, you are gonna have to wait another year before applying.

I'm inclined to agree with erg (as well as with the advice Psychadelic offered). There's no harm in applying during the upcoming cycle, but I'd essentially go ahead and assume you're going to need another year of research experience before your app is given serious consideration. Are you from LA or TN (or somewhere in between)? If the former, you can check into the other universities beyond ULM (e.g., LSU, UNO, ULL, Southeastern), and there's also the New Iberia Research Center (affiliated with ULL). As erg mentioned, if Atlanta is a possibility, then Emory is HUGE hospital- and research-wise and may have some volunteer spots you can fill; GA State and Tech are also nearby. If you're willing to live in Athens for a year, then UGA is an additional option.

Saying that you'll work for free, if possible, can be a big selling point, so as Psychadelic said, play that up.

Good suggestion, thanks.

Yes, I did consider this. I tried to choose professors that I saw had summer courses.
/sigh.. The ugly truth that I was hoping was not true. I only switched to psychology about 18 months ago, and have been working in Afghanistan in order to pay off bills/save up so I can survive through grad school. I appreciate the information, I may still get agressive and apply anyway. I will not be working this fall so I could volunteer ample hours, possibly even with more than one lab, if it helps. One program said that I needed clinical and/or research actually as well. In addition, I think some have gotten in with less research experience. (From what I can tell Eran did at http://howigotintostanford.com/http://www.howigotintostandford.com).

Last edited:
Everyone has read that website and, unfortunately, everyone also thinks they will get into the top schools with minimal experience because that guy did. Times have changed. You will be competing with people who have years of post-college research experience in their area of interest. There's always a chance, but the odds are never very good (especially in this economy). If I were you, I would test the waters by applying to a few schools this coming year (ones that you won't mind compromising for to attend a year earlier), with the intention of continuing to get research experience and blowing it out of the water with your top choices the following year. That's just how most people do it.

Reactions: 1 user

Stanford does not have any applied degree programs in psychology. Applied programs get 3 times as many applicants as experimental ones...

Moreover, I think this demonstrates a well known psychological/cognitive fallacy. That is, if you ask 100 people on the street, the vast majority will say that they are "above average." Well, isn't very likely that if you choose 100 people at random, all of them would really be above average, right? Of course not. Nobody likes to think of themselves as the mean or mode. But that is, statically, what you are most likely to be. I would probably try to come to terms with the fact that, although it is possible, you are most likely going to fall within the mean/mode, not the exception. And the mean doesn't get admitted to grad school with 5 months of volunteer research experience...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Everyone has read that website and, unfortunately, everyone also thinks they will get into the top schools with minimal experience because that guy did. Times have changed. You will be competing with people who have years of post-college research experience in their area of interest. There's always a chance, but the odds are never very good (especially in this economy). If I were you, I would test the waters by applying to a few schools this coming year (ones that you won't mind compromising for to attend a year earlier), with the intention of continuing to get research experience and blowing it out of the water with your top choices the following year. That's just how most people do it.

Again, agreed. Although to avoid any potential confusion regarding that final sentence, I'd definitely recommend that if you apply again next year, you include a healthy variety of programs re: competitiveness (i.e., top-tier and mid-tier) rather than just applying to your top choices.

(Not implying you meant for the OP to do that, Psychadelic; just wanted to curtail the possibility of it happening down the road).

No one has said this, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your whole degree being completed online is likely going to be another strike against you when applying to Ph.D. programs. So you're going to need to be above average in other areas to make up for that as well. There's zero chance that you will get into a reputable Ph.D. program with only 5 months of research experience. Have you considered applying for Master's programs first? If you apply to an experimental or research-rigorous clinical Master's, that can be a good way to prepare for a Ph.D.

Thats what I did...

No one has said this, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your whole degree being completed online is likely going to be another strike against you when applying to Ph.D. programs. So you're going to need to be above average in other areas to make up for that as well. There's zero chance that you will get into a reputable Ph.D. program with only 5 months of research experience. Have you considered applying for Master's programs first? If you apply to an experimental or research-rigorous clinical Master's, that can be a good way to prepare for a Ph.D.

^:thumbup::thumbup: OP, this is your best bet. Coming to psychology late is fine but you do have to approach things differently. I strongly recommend you follow the advice psycscientist gave.

Yes I am considering that path as well. Some PhD programs also accept some of the master's hours toward the PhD (such as UNT Counseling psychology). Most master's deadlines are in the spring, so that also gives me more time.

I figured my degree being online might be another negative, however, about 50 of my hours are from on campus and my degree will not indicate it was "online" as it is not like University of Phoenix.

As much as it was painful, I do appreciate the honest wake up call everyone. I will start looking at "plan B" options. (Masters, or sit out a year doing research and maybe take some graduate courses that are research related,etc)

Moreover, I think this demonstrates a well known psychological/cognitive fallacy. That is, if you ask 100 people on the street, the vast majority will say that they are "above average."

The above average effect is one of my favorite things to talk to undergraduate students about. Thanks for applying it here - I always get a chuckle from it. Okay, back to my nerd-cave.

When you have found a career path that excites you it can be hard to hear when people imply that you shouldn't get ahead of yourself.

PhD programs in psych are more like apprenticeships than most applicants realize, so taking the time to build research experience and connections will pay off larger dividends in the future.

For someone who was dedicated enough to work in Afghanistan to save up money, I'm sure it will only be a matter of time until you build up your repertoire of research experience and connections enough to get in.