How to get certain MCAT Practice Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benderlee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm taking the MCAT in about a year and am in the process of planning; will start reviewing Orgo, Chem, Phys, and Bio within a few days.

I had a question though regarding practice exams.

So far I've gotten help from friends and whatnot, and have the following exams:

AAMC (R) - 3R-8R
AAMC (CBT) - 3-10

Kaplan (Full Length R, old) - 1-11

I know where to find and will probably get in the future:

The Berkeley Review (Full Length, old 2002) - 1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9 (no 4 :( )
The Berkeley Review (CBTs - 1-7)
Gold Standard (CBTs - 1-10)

I am in search of:

EK Full Length and CBT exams
The Princeton Review Full Length and CBTs
Kaplan New CBTs

I have a few questions I was wondering if people could answer.

1.) What EK full lengths and CBTs are out there and where can I find them?

2.) What Pricneton Review Full Length and CBTs are out there and where can I find them?

3.) I have heard that the Kaplan CBTs are only accessible if you take their course. Is this true? Also, are the corresponding numbers of the Kaplan CBTs (1-9) the same as their "R" Full lengths only shortened?

4.) For the Berkeley Review too, does anybody know if their latest CBTs (1-7) are the same as their old Full Lengths only shortened?

5.)
Does anyone know of any other MCAT practice exams out there other than the stuff I've listed?

I'll be thankful for any input I get.

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Between the AAMC and Kaplan tests, you have more than enough. Taking practice tests is important, but you also don't want to take too many of them. Furthermore, you would not be able to fully utilize all of those practice tests if you got every available one. Go over Kaplan 1- 6 old first, then move onto the AAMC #3-10 CBT. That's plenty of FL practice. Do NOT go over the AAMC 3R-8R. Those have the same questions as those in AAMC #3-10 CBT.

It should take a minimum of TWO days to use a FL. One day to take it. Two-three days to thoroughly review it. If you aren't spending 2-3 days to review your test, you aren't reviewing it well.

I am fully aware that 3R-9R are the same versions, just the old long ones. I was planning on doing the CBTs and then after those are done, doing the leftover extra passages in the R versions.

In terms of being enough practice material, I think I probably should have mentioned my plan.

I have well over a year until I take the MCAT. I am too lazy right now to post my full study schedule, but the gist of it is:

During the Upcoming School year (9 months), I'll be:
-Reviewing all the science subjects.
-Once I'm done reviewing, I'll take as many non-AAMC practice tests as possible
-Once the school year is over, I'll have about a good 3.5-4 months until the MCAT with nothing to do but study. During this time, I'm JUST going to be doing practice tests and thoroughly reviewing them.
-In the last 1.5-2 months, I'll do all the AAMC CBTs and thoroughly review

I don't know why you assumed I wasn't planning on doing a complete review for each test. I know that this is an absolute necessity.

As you can see, I have plenty of time to study for the MCAT, and I am just trying to utilize the time I have.

All that being said, I would truly appreciate if someone could answer the questions I asked in my original post. I hope no one thinks I am coming off as sounding mean or arrogant in any way... I'll take all the input and help I can get.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't blame SN2ed for providing you with all the information that we have available. The problem is that people end up creating more threads and don't end up using the search function. We just try to include everything in 1 post now so that you have everything you need and so you don't have to come back 2-3 months later and start a new thread on the same topic when it could have just been here all at once. It's very frustrating to see the same thread topic pop up every 2 days by 4 different people when they could have just used the search function and found their answer in 5 mins or less. I'm just trying to show you his point of view.

Now for your questions:

1. I'm not sure if they have CBTs but if you could find them anywhere, it would be on their website www.examkrackers.com

2. I think there are 9 Princeton Review (TPR) CBTs and you can only get access to them through the course.

3. Yes. A simple search would have answered that question in a second. I believe the CBTs are the same as the R tests but somebody may want to check me on this or you can search it yourself just in case.

4. I'm not familiar with Berkeley Review CBTs but you may want to search this also.

5. I'm not aware of anymore but you will not need anymore than that. Just to let you know, most students (>90%) find the Kaplan and AAMCs tests to be enough.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

LIS-

Thanks for trying to give me information, but most of your response was themed around your notion that I should search harder for the answers to questions, and in addition to that, you provided a false analysis of SN2ed's response.

First off, I'm relatively new to this form (I've watched SDN for a while now but only recently started posting). I've seen many of your posts, and you seem to have a knack for telling people to search for answers, instead of simply answering their questions.

I did indeed truly search for these answers, and didn't find anything. Before you go off on how I am not a good SDN searcher, understand that people might accidentally overlook things that are out there or not search for something the way they should. Therefore, for the sake of a quick answer and convenience, they resort to asking the question in a new thread. How foolish they are to expect that the SDN community (which, in absolute seriousness, is probably the smartest online community around) will help them out, even if the question has been floating around in some other corner of the SDN forms.

Back to the point at hand though, wouldn't it have been much easier on everyone to cut out the lecture on how I should search SDN better and just answer the questions (or perhaps in your heart, you didn't even want to answer my questions and mainly wanted to instill a false sense of self righteousness in yourself by scolding me on my bad searching)?

By the by, SN2ed mentioned NOTHING on how I should search better. All he was suggesting (as you did in your last sentence of your reply) was that I shouldn't overburden myself with too many practice tests, and that anything more than AAMC and Kaplan are unnecessary. You said this too. However, for some reason, this was your interpretation of his response:

You can't blame SN2ed for providing you with all the information that we have available. The problem is that people end up creating more threads and don't end up using the search function. We just try to include everything in 1 post now so that you have everything you need and so you don't have to come back 2-3 months later and start a new thread on the same topic when it could have just been here all at once. It's very frustrating to see the same thread topic pop up every 2 days by 4 different people when they could have just used the search function and found their answer in 5 mins or less. I'm just trying to show you his point of view.

ALL SN2ed stated was that the practice tests I already had were more than sufficient. I didn't see a single implication of him being irritated with my post based on the reason that the questions have been asked/answered many times in other threads.

Since 2 people have now said the same thing about not needing too many practice tests, I'll definitely keep this in mind.

I hate to write a whole monologue here on SDN like an angry SDNer, but some people really confuse me.

1. Going to their website, you would see that they have 6 or 7 exams but I haven't heard of them being in CBT format, just in the old paper format.

2. A combination of the sticky thread by BloodySurgeon here that you're supposed to read before posting here
and this one with just a simple search of "how to get pr cbt" would give you this thread to answer this question.

3. A simple search of "how to get kaplan cbt" would have answered the first part of your question in the first result page in this thread
I thought I was clear on the second part but I'll say it again, they are the same but the R have extra material.

4. This was probably a ligitimate question that couldn't have been found by searching.

-LIS

Last edited:
To get back on topic, the reason that I (and many others) believe that a lot of practice tests isn't a great option is because many tests simply aren't that great at predicting your scores or very representative of what questions will be like on the actual MCAT. A very interesting post by vihsadas here explains the basic reasoning behind it. If you want to use the extra FL just to practice content then that is fine but there are better practice materials for helping you identify and strengthening your weaknesses out there.

I really hope this helped,

-LIS

I agree with LIS. You can't just take a bunch of practice tests and expect it to work out for the best come test day. That said, it is extremely important to take a handful of practice tests to become familiar with the format and layout of the exams, especially since it's CBT, which a lot of us are not as familiar with. When you do take a practice test, the important thing is to then pour over the test after you're done taking it, identifying weaknesses and strengths, and developing a plan to study the bio or physics stuff that you performed less than stellar on.

Now, whether that practice test is AAMC, Kaplan, Princeton, etc - I used AAMC and found them to be useful. But the key is...and this is the more important than what practice exam you use...to go over the test after taking it and developing a plan to study the material you are weak on.

Last edited:
I really don't want to waste anymore of my life on this argument. This is my last post on the searching matter. I am still in full support of my stance that an individual should help out more and lecture less. A few things that are going to bug me unless I elaborate further though:

I DID GENUINELY LOOK FOR THE ANSWERS TO ALL OF THESE QUESTIONS. I will admit - some of them I even found vague answers to, but I figured since I found zero information on some questions I had (like the question on how whether or not TBR CBT's are the same as their old full lengths only shorter), I would kill a few birds with one thread and get everything answered at once. Is that SUCH a misstep that you felt that you needed to spend a considerable amount of time chastising me for my searching and even telling me to go back over the "instructions" in the Sticky thread? I don't think so. I am standing by my stance that you should just answer the questions. If you think that you're going to make SDN into a "perfect-search utopia," one member at a time, dream on. I am CERTAIN that you have logged hours of your life just scolding people on poor searching habits and other SDN related things that you consider follies. When you are in the initial stages of planning your next response, please consider the time you are devoting to your venture and if it's worth anything at all. And don't even think about going into some bull plop about how you think this will make us better people.

Very last thing: you claim that I criticized everyone's response. I don't know if the rest of you feel this way, but I should explain either way. I have high respect for the assistance SN2ed has given to this community, but one thing is certain, he just gave his opinion of the matter (which is PERFECTLY fine), but didn't answer my questions or even say that he didn't know any information about them. All he did was provide his opinion on the matter. I am sure a lot of people would be annoyed by this. It would be one thing if he answered some questions or even said that he didn't know any information and THEN provided an opinion, but instead, he straight up just gave his opinion with no information on the ?s.

Now for everyone: let me reiterate a few things (this is not supposed to sound angry or even assertive at all... that's what is hard about forums, you can't really tell the tone of someones voice. To help everyone, please picture me talking like Ned Flanders. Not kidding; this is how I request you folks to read these words :laugh:).

1.) I have a full 14 months to study for the MCAT (at least).

2.) I already planned on spending at LEAST a solid 2 days on each practice test, but please don't misunderstand; practice tests aren't going to be all my studying is going to consist of.

3.) My rough study schedule is this

-First 5 months - review content from EK study package, Nova Physics, Kap course materials (didn't take the course but found the newest edition of the books brand new on craigslist for super cheap :) ), and/or MAYBE TBR.

-Next 7.5 months - practice material from 1001/101 series, TPR Hyperlearning, and Practice Exams (not AAMC) and thoroughly going over every problem/passage/exam I do, finding strengths/weaknesses.

-Last 1.5 Months or so - AAMC Practice Exams + going over final weaknesses

From what the SDN community has talked about in many-a-thread, I know that only practice tests won't get you very far in terms of MCAT prep, and the logic that has been discoursed on this makes perfect sense. But I figure since I am lucky enough to have a TON of time to study, why not take as many as I can reasonably fit in (giving ample time for other passages/problems as well)? I figure it will solidify myself with the format/timing/endurance factor and also give me some passage practice in addition to the other passage practice materials (like 1001/101/Hyperlearning/etc) that I already plan on doing.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

This is what it boils down to:

I don't like it when people are too picky about relatively minor rules (NONE of which, by the way, I violated or broke courtesy with). What this basically stemmed from is that you got annoyed that I essentially wasted the SDN communities time by posting a thread that consisted of some questions that have been answered previously in the forms. In turn, I got annoyed that you even took the time to mention this. If you still think that you were righteous in telling me how to search better, I don't think we will ever be in accordance on this matter.

FYI, your whole hypocrite rant: My posts take about 3 minutes to type out. Yours contain very detailed references and quotes from previous posts; there is no way you don't spend a considerable amount of time on this.

As for the whole "me being a childish and belligerent individual" garbage, YOU are the one being a hypocrite here. You said that I don't know you as a person, well you don't know me. I am upset that my very first thread on SDN (that wasn't For Sale/Wanted related) turned out this way because you decided it was your duty to let me know that I shouldn't waste precious SDN threads on questions that have already been answered (EVEN THOUGH, my post consisted of both questions that have and have not been answered. You said it yourself.).

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously? This is ridiculous. Let's stop fighting and get back on topic. Let me refresh your memory - this thread is about where/how to find MCAT practice tests.

1. You can buy examkracker paper tests through their site at www.examkrackers.com. I have never heard of EK having cbt versions of their tests but maybe they are out there.

2. Princeton review has 9 CBTs that are only offered through their course.

3. True, Kaplan's CBTs are only offered through their course. The kaplan full length or "R" exams are the same as the CBTs but longer. I personally checked on this.

4. I have never read anything on these but I would assume that these are the same as the R exams also.

5. You could do MCAT Achiever but they are largely untested and no one really knows how good/bad they are.

Hope this helped,

-LIS

LIS-

You seem to be making a HUGE deal about my "contradiction" regarding finding no answers to my questions before I posted.

I did not want to say I already found some of the answers because I found VAGUE answers to some of the questions (such as your answer to my question about TBR's exams... your assumption that the old long FLs is fine but ultimately it means nothing unless backed up by evidence based on inquiry).

If I were to have said in my OP something like "I found the answer to this question, but it wasn't very clear and I want to double check," How would someone like you have reacted?

You would have given me a similar annoyed response that would have centered around the idea that if I found the answer but didn't trust it or it wasn't clear/certain enough, it is my problem, and my problem alone. Given your history of being a forum order nanny, there is no doubt in my mind that you would have been equally annoyed about this hypothetical thread.

It was a Catch-22; so I figured I would just ask the questions (without going into all that detail) hoping that mature SDNers would just answer them/give their opinions on the topic or not answer at all. But alas, LIS, you have proven to be the rotten apple that spoils the barrel. You represent a lot that is terribly wrong with this forum. I am sick and tired of going through a forum that starts out with an important topic/questions, but then ends in prattle from SO many distractions, such as this one. Sure, I enjoy the funny distractions or pleasant tangents, but in this case, which is all to familiar in these forums, it was incredibly annoying. I think EVERYONE will agree that ALL SDN MEMBERS SHOULD JUST FOCUS ON THE MAIN TOPIC ON THE FORUMS. POINTING OUT MISTAKES (especially INSIGNIFICANT MISTAKES) SHOULD BE LEFT TO THE MODS AND ADMINS. LIS, correct me if I'm mistaken, but you are no admin or mod. You had no business telling me about how to search, and should have stuck with the topic at hand: MCAT Tests.

All of your flowery talk about welcoming people to ask questions is BS. On the contrary, it is the fussiness of people like you that hinder people from asking important questions. In ALL of your posts, you CONTINUE to diss my supposedly inferior searching skills. I was VERY close to not asking these questions as my first post because I knew that I would probably get some stickler that would criticize my questions, and that stickler ended up being you.

-Bender Lee

1.) What EK full lengths and CBTs are out there and where can I find them?

There are 3 full lengths provided by Examkrackers. NONE of them are in the CBT format. Besides the Examkrackers website, you may find the exams on ebay or craigslist.

BEFORE BUYING THEM, SEARCH SDN ON WHAT DO SDNers THINK ABOUT THESE EXAMS.

2.) What Pricneton Review Full Length and CBTs are out there and where can I find them?

I think there are 9 Princeton Review Full Lengths (in CBT format) are out there. All of them are ONLY provided to those who take their course (which runs for ~ $1600.00 - I am not sure about this)

Also, there are 4 Princeton Review Full Lenghts that you can get if you buy Cracking the MCAT CBT. HOwever, I am not sure if these are the same as the ones provided in class.

BEFORE BUYING THEM, SEARCH SDN ON WHAT DO SDNers THINK ABOUT THESE EXAMS.

3.) I have heard that the Kaplan CBTs are only accessible if you take their course. Is this true? Also, are the corresponding numbers of the Kaplan CBTs (1-9) the same as their "R" Full lengths only shortened?

Yes, that is true. I have no idea:confused:

4.) For the Berkeley Review too, does anybody know if their latest CBTs (1-7) are the same as their old Full Lengths only shortened?

I am not 100% sure on this one, but I think that they are the same. I compared an exam from 1995 with one from 2001 or 2002 and most, NOT ALL, of the passages were the same. But, that was just ONE exam.

5.) Does anyone know of any other MCAT practice exams out there other than the stuff I've listed?

I'll be thankful for any input I get.

Thanks guys.

No Problem.

Bhaiya-

THANK YOU for the solid info.

1.) I found out that the EK exams are actually not that great (according to the opinions of many many SDN members)

2.) http://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Review-MCAT-Practice-test/dp/B000LM1HC2

I found that 4 test TPR book online. I don't know if these are the same as the ones in Cracking the MCAT.

Does anyone know if:
-the 4 Princeton Exams found in Cracking the MCAT CBT and the 4 found in this older Princeton A-D book are the same

and

-if any of these overlap with the 9 TPR CBTs found in the course?

3.) I confirmed from a friend that the old Kaplan 1-11 FL Correspond to the CBT Kaplan 1-9.

4.) Don't know this one yet, and honestly...don't really know how to find out since TBR exams are so hard to come by.

5.) Thanks for the free resources!

Thanks again Baboo.

-Bender Lee

Be careful Baboo. Unless you are an admin or mod you are not allowed to use the S----H word in this thread.

-LIS

Baboo was just telling me to check/search the opinions on the tests before buying them. There's a big difference between a friendly suggestion intended to help another person and a hostile suggestion that discourages people from asking questions.

That'll do LIS, that'll do. Move on man.

There's a big difference between a friendly search suggestion to supplement an already friendly response to a question (i.e. baboo), and a snooty post on how I should search better to get my original question answered (i.e. LIS).

Just let it go man.

On a lighter note, I just found a friend who has access to all 7 new CBTs so I'm going to let him borrow my 2002 TBR Paper FLs so that he can compare.

I'll keep everyone posted. <--- (Get it...POSTED...since we're on a forum...and we POST replies :D )

I'm going to be the adult between the two of us. Good luck on your MCAT. I hope you get all the help you want/need.

-LIS

Last edited:
I'm a little confused about the full length practice tests that are included with the Princeton Review books such as Cracking the MCAT, MCAT workout, and Cracking the CBT. I know they each have 4, 2, and 4 exams respectively, but are they all different or do some of them overlap? Which ones should I purchase?