How to Get DO Emails for Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

Bruins2013

I want to shadow a DO physician for a while. I am having trouble finding emails though to send out and see if I get any replies. Where and how has everyone gotten email addresses for their DO physicians?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been calling but that doesn't seem to be going very well. Conidering just showing up at some practices with my resume lol...

I was randomly driving down a pretty popular stretch of road when I happened to see a "NOW OPEN!" sign stretched across a new clinic. It peaked my curiosity so I drove by, and my mouth dropped when I saw they were BOTH D.O's working there. In my haste I parked my car and ran inside, and asked the receptionist what was up... she called the D.O's to the front and they said "impress us." Ran back to my UG, printed out my resume and a powerpoint presentation I made on osteopathic medicine that I presented in a class I took... and dropped it off with them. Couple of days later they invited me to shadow them and were impressed by my powerpoint presentation, and they said they were as excited to have me shadow them as I was to shadow them. I stayed for months... the patients loved me, I learned a lot, and the physicians let me have direct hands-on experience with patients. After 5 (closing time) they even stayed later one day and performed OMT on me, to show me how it felt and how hand placements went. It was awesome.

TL;DR: DO IT!!!!

Look at clinic/medical school/hospital websites in your area and look through all of their physicians and call every single DO office. That's what I did.

I was randomly driving down a pretty popular stretch of road when I happened to see a "NOW OPEN!" sign stretched across a new clinic. It peaked my curiosity so I drove by, and my mouth dropped when I saw they were BOTH D.O's working there. In my haste I parked my car and ran inside, and asked the receptionist what was up... she called the D.O's to the front and they said "impress us." Ran back to my UG, printed out my resume and a powerpoint presentation I made on osteopathic medicine that I presented in a class I took... and dropped it off with them. Couple of days later they invited me to shadow them and were impressed by my powerpoint presentation, and they said they were as excited to have me shadow them as I was to shadow them. I stayed for months... the patients loved me, I learned a lot, and the physicians let me have direct hands-on experience with patients. After 5 (closing time) they even stayed later one day and performed OMT on me, to show me how it felt and how hand placements went. It was awesome.

That's a pretty cool experience. Thanks for sharing!

Cool

I want to shadow a DO physician for a while. I am having trouble finding emails though to send out and see if I get any replies. Where and how has everyone gotten email addresses for their DO physicians?

http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/find-a-do/Pages/default.aspx

You can look up DO's in your area. It gives you an address for the doctor and also their specialty. Once you get the name, you can also try searching them on Google. Thats how I found a DO, emailed her and shadowed her for a few days. She was really nice and very helpful.

http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/find-a-do/Pages/default.aspx

You can look up DO's in your area. It gives you an address for the doctor and also their specialty. Once you get the name, you can also try searching them on Google. Thats how I found a DO, emailed her and shadowed her for a few days. She was really nice and very helpful.

I used the same website. I just called the number listed and checked her website and I am going in to meet her on Friday morning. I told her what I was looking to do and she was already familiar with people coming in to shadow with her.

I tired to email and then use the AOA mentor website but neither worked. Then I went to my state osteopathic website found 63 D.O's near me and made a mailing list with a professional letter that expressed me interest in shadowing and also talked about my EC's a little. Out of the 63 letters probably 15 D.O.'s got back to me and I ended up shadowing 3 of them.

It really wasn't that bad in terms of making the list or cost. I just decided to shotgun as many DO's as I could and it ended up working out.

I've been calling but that doesn't seem to be going very well. Conidering just showing up at some practices with my resume lol...

That's essentially how I got my shadowing done. I looked up the DO's in my area and wrote out a letter of why I want to shadow them w/ a resume and stopped by each office (there are only 8 DOs where I'm from). I've done the whole phone method and that had very little success. Essentially you have no clue if the office manager even talks to the doctor.

My city's hospital has a Medical Education office, which I called and they set me up for a day, which then I asked the doc if I could shadow for longer

I work at a large university with several hospital systems; so I looked up the departments I was interested in, and searched for DOs, since I already had their emails through our university system. Sometimes you gotta be creative.

Members don't see this ad :)
Either just call randomly using web to search(This will be hard and you will get hang up 99% of time..i know first hand)
Or just walk in to a clinic and ask blatantly..face to face is better.
I lucked out because I had access to an alumni database that was all DO's given by school's admin. I literally emailed around 500 of them and only 3 let me shadow.
It will be damn stupid difficult but be persistent.

Is your primary care provider a D.O.? The local private office is D.O., and a friend of mine who used to work there as a nurse said she hired students sometimes during the summer (lots of people have summer homes there). I'm a certified EMT, so she let me work there. Sometimes I shadowed, sometimes I more or less acted as the medical assistant/did the normal nurse's (her brother's) job.

Is your primary care provider a D.O.? The local private office is D.O., and a friend of mine who used to work there as a nurse said she hired students sometimes during the summer (lots of people have summer homes there). I'm a certified EMT, so she let me work there. Sometimes I shadowed, sometimes I more or less acted as the medical assistant/did the normal nurse's (her brother's) job.

What in the hell are you talking about?

My own personal anecdote....

Before last year I didn't know any D.O.s., BUT I knew plenty of M.D.s. I walked right up to the one I had only talked to a few times and the D.O. names / emails spilled out.

Sometimes these things are about networking and putting your neck out there to get any kind of bite.

I was having the same problem... I used the AOA mentor site last week and got two responses yesterday :) I would recommend doing that since it's an optional program that doctors can sign up for if they're willing to help students. Hope you find something soon! :xf:

What in the hell are you talking about?

-_- Exactly what it says. if TL;DR, if your primary care provider is a DO, ask them. Ask any friends you have in the medical field and see if they have any leads. That's what I did, and not only did I get to shadow her, she offered me a part-time summer job.

What kind of things do you guys mention in your email?

To: Dr. Blank
Date: 6/28/2012
Re: Possibilty of shadowing

Dr. Blank

Hello my name is Poliscidoc I am a (insert class rank) at (insert college name). I am interested in the field of medicine and especially osteopathic medicine. I am hoping to find a doctor that will allow me to shadow them so I will have a better understanding of medicine from an osteopathic point of view. Before I dive into the field of medicine I would like to have a solid foundation and I was wondering if you could help in that regard. I would really appreciate the opportunity to shadow and speak with you if possible. I have included my contact information below and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Sincerely,

Poliscidoc

Contact info

Thanks Poliscidoc! That's really helpful man.

Anytime, I mailed those to several doctors offices and I was kind of surprised how many calls and emails I got. The doctors said they liked the letter because it was is much more personal than an email.

It worked for me hope it helps somebody else

Typed then signed my name, hand wrote the envelopes, and after I shadowed I wrote a thank you letter by hand

Just tried the AOA iLearn Mentor site and sent out 3 emails yesterday. Got a response from one doctor by yesterday evening. I will be shadowing her while she is on call July 4 and any time thereafter at the hospital she working at :)

So that is 2 docs that I was successful getting a chance to shadow using the DO websites out there. I think that I was just lucky. Keep trying someone will be generous and answer your emails and let you hang out with them. :thumbup: