How to get in OD school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WanabeDR

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, can someone help me out here? I am done with all pre-requirement for Optometry school with 3.3QPA. However, I didn't get my B.S yet (I will be done next December), and I am planning to take OAT next semester. My Q is how many school I should apply to, and do they have any preferences to State residency? I live in PA. The only think I am missing so far is to shadow OD but I don't know how to do it. Should I just walk in any Optometry practice and ask them if I can shadow them or what. It's little bit deferent then when you ask MD or DO physician. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing an OD is really no different than a MD/DO. To do it thought, I would make sure to find a private OD, no chain stuff. The private usually owns his/her own place so they can tell you yes or no right away. Not to mention my personal opinion of the quality of chain shops, you will learn alot more from a private person.

About state preferance, yes some schools do. Oklahoma for example will only except people from like 3 or 4 states. All the info can be found on their websites.

My father only aplied to one and it worked out for him but I would apply to atleast 4 or 5. That is of coures dependent on you OAT score.

Good luck

Try calling around to different O.D.'s. I had no problem shadowing O.D.'s. Some schools (Pacific is one) requires a minimum number of observation hours at an O.D. office. Try a variety of practices, i.e. one-man private practice, chain store, partnership (eye clinic), hospital (VA or military). The admissions committees all seemed to like the fact that I had observed at several different settings to get a real feel for the profession. Everyone was friendly and helpful and several O.D's offered to write letters of recommendation. Good luck and have fun.

I actually worked for an OD for a year and experience was invaluable. Not everyone can do that of course, but definitely call around to private practice OD's in your area. Almost all of them should be thrilled to talk to you if you're pre-OD. Most OD's i've met are thrilled to find someone interested in their profession.

Other than that.. do well on the OAT and try to finish your BS/BA degree. most schools actually REQUIRE a BS/BA or make it darn near impossible to get in without one unless you have a really high GPA. I applied to three schools and was accepted to two. You can check out in state versus out of state ratios at the ASCO webpage at:

ASCO Web Page

Good luck! Let us know if you have any more questions. We're here to help! :D :D