How to get in state tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magyarzorag

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I will be attending UToledo in Ohio in August 2020. I know to get in-state tuition (gonna be a 31K+7% interest difference), you need to reside in the state for the past 12 months. I was considering buying a house (I have about $70K worth of assets) in the state to prove my residency. Unfortunately, I am still taking classes at my home University in Texas, so I won't really be able to "physically" live there. Can I establish in state residency if I own a home in OH for 12+months. I also plan on getting my license, registration changed, etc.

With UT, there also seems to be a separate in-state reclassification for Monroe County, MI (a bordering county). The reclassification application for residents of Monroe County, MI is a lot easier and shorter. Most importantly, that app doesn't have this question :
"Have you been out of the state of Ohio for 2 or more consecutive weeks during the preceding 12 months?". It also asks if you are financially independent (which I am), but that's it. I was also considering trying to get in state residency this way. It seems like this way might be easier because this doesn't fall under Ohio law, but also doesn't quite fall under Michigan law??

I have attached both application forms for reference!!

http://www.utoledo.edu/offices/registrar/pdfs/ResidencyApplication.pdf
http://www.utoledo.edu/offices/registrar/pdfs/MichiganReciprocity.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

This borders on fraud. Would rescinding your Texas residency increase your Texas tuition? The form states that you need to be a Monroe County resident to be eligible for in state UToledo tuition for 12 consecutive months. I don't think your auto insurance carrier would enjoy your plan and keep in mind Michigan auto insurance rates are quite high. You would have to consider registering your vehicle in Michigan (if you own one). Other than that are you really going to heat a home you are not going to inhabit? I don't think your homeowners insurer would enjoy knowing you won't be in the home. Are you renting in Texas right now? Proving Michigan residency for driver license isn't too difficult but you'd need to travel to Michigan to go to secretary of state to do so with the required documents.

I graduated from high school and both my parents live/work there, so those factors more than qualify me for TX tuition still. The slight uptake in auto insurance rates/registration fees will pale in comparison to the $40+K it will save me after you factor in interest rates on loans.

Update: I realized that I am only 1/2 classes away from graduating, and both those classes can be taken online. If I move to Ohio (physically reside there and get a job there), but still take online classes at my home institution, I think this might make me more eligible.

And how is this fraud? I'm going to answer everything truthfully and getting a new address to change my drivers license and plates/car registration is not fraud. I may also just rent.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you rent in Texas and buy in Ohio it's more beneficial to be an Ohio resident (or Michigan should you go that route) because of the principal residence exemption (saving on property taxes). If you are no longer a Texas resident or at least part time (as evidenced by registering to vote in another state) you are supposed to notify your previous state as well. Things that would harm your case to the school in question is if you still had a driver license in Texas, were still registered or were voting in Texas, or still paying rent in Texas. If you are still enrolled in Texas for school for the next year that's not helpful and likely open to an audit of your residency or it would be denied. It's going to cast some doubt on your case if you either don't do all of the things 12 months prior to starting classes or it seems to close to the time if applying to school. In fact owning a home without working or attending school in Michigan will likely lead to a denial of residency classification for tuition. (See University of Michigan's website).

@TMP-SMX

Thanks for the response. I think I will physically move completely to Ohio. I won't be paying rent or doing anything in Texas. I'll be taking classes online for the institution in Texas, but will work in Ohio and prove I can self-support myself through that.