How to get into a good residency program: tips and tricks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luke Skywalker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, what do you wish you had known about residency apps/making connections/getting into a good residency program as an MS1? I know that there have probably been several discussions about this topic already, but things are always changing and it helps to get a fresh perspective. Thanks for your advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, what do you wish you had known about residency apps/making connections/getting into a good residency program as an MS1? I know that there have probably been several discussions about this topic already, but things are always changing and it helps to get a fresh perspective. Thanks for your advice in advance!

1. Be top of your class; P=MD, P!=Residency
2. Get a 250 on Step 1. it is a screening tool for residency apps; competitive specialties throw out <230 without consideration
3. Research early, and in the field you intend to go into
4. Letters come in 3rd and 4th year; don't worry about now

= means "equals", != means "does not equal"

Members don't see this ad :)
2. Get a 250 on Step 1. it is a screening tool for residency apps; competitive specialties throw out <230 without consideration

Thanks! But what about rotations, etc - is it good to do a rotation at your dream residency program? On these rotations do you get to meet the residency directors? Are these rotations generally formal programs or are they informal - like shadowing? What do they look at when you apply to the external rotations? What are some good things to consider when deciding your future specialty? Besides the usual stuff like who you get to deal with (patients) on a daily basis, lifestyle, salary, kind of work, etc? What are some things you wish you had known about getting into a good residency program when you were just an MS1? What OSA good resource that lists the score you need for a certain program? I realize it may not be that cut and dry but maybe some ballpark values? I realize I can probably google some of this stuff but I just want to make sure that I am looking at the right sources. Thanks again!

Shadow different specialties as a m1 that'll help you decide an area that you can focus research on during m1 summer. Don't worry about what scores you need for given programs. Shoot for a high step (260+) and you'll be competitive for all programs.

Regardless of how many times it's been said, it merits repetition: Step 1 really is the most important thing evar, especially if you think you're interested in some uber-competitive specialties. No amount of connections or handshakes or research or what have you will make you competitive for neurosurgery if you have a lower step score. If you're not going for neurosurgery/derm/etc, it may be less of an end-all-be-all, but it will obviously be good to have a good score.

With that in mind, I feel the most important thing to do in the first couple of years is make sure you lay a good foundation of knowledge so that when it comes time for step, you can make your best showing. I'd say as you're first starting out, make studying your first and only priority in school--socialize enough to remain sane, but I don't think you want to go looking for research or shadowing or whatever else in September of M1. If you're at a P/F school the actual grade may not matter, but make sure by the end of each block you have a reasonable understanding of the material.

Later as you get accustomed to how much work it will take to learn the material, if you find that you then have some extra time, then you can look for research or shadowing or whatever it is that you think will help you get to where you want to go.

Last edited:
As others are saying, find out what matters and focus on that. For any specialty:

1) Good step scores
2) Good clinical rotation grades / recommendations

For more competitive specialties, find out which of these apply:
3) AOA
4) Research experience
5) Away rotations
6) Leadership or other extracurriculars (I don't think this is super important, don't spend a lot of time on this if you don't want to)

I think it is pretty much that simple. Focus on where the highest returns are for what you want to go into. Generally that means doing well with whatever is happening at the time. Knowing your MS I - II basic sciences cold will help you when Step 1 comes around, and will help prepare you for clinicals. Having a good attitude, knowledge base, work ethic, and bedside manner during clinical rotations will help you get good grades and good rec letters. Take each step seriously as it comes, give it your best, and you will probably end up somewhere good.

Reactions: 1 user
as others are saying, find out what matters and focus on that. For any specialty:

1) good step scores
2) good clinical rotation grades / recommendations

for more competitive specialties, find out which of these apply:
3) aoa
4) research experience
5) away rotations
6) leadership or other extracurriculars (i don't think this is super important, don't spend a lot of time on this if you don't want to)

i think it is pretty much that simple. Focus on where the highest returns are for what you want to go into. Generally that means doing well with whatever is happening at the time. Knowing your ms i - ii basic sciences cold will help you when step 1 comes around, and will help prepare you for clinicals. Having a good attitude, knowledge base, work ethic, and bedside manner during clinical rotations will help you get good grades and good rec letters. Take each step seriously as it comes, give it your best, and you will probably end up somewhere good.

aoa?

As others are saying, find out what matters and focus on that. For any specialty:

1) Good step scores
2) Good clinical rotation grades / recommendations

For more competitive specialties, find out which of these apply:
3) AOA
4) Research experience
5) Away rotations
6) Leadership or other extracurriculars (I don't think this is super important, don't spend a lot of time on this if you don't want to)

I think it is pretty much that simple. Focus on where the highest returns are for what you want to go into. Generally that means doing well with whatever is happening at the time. Knowing your MS I - II basic sciences cold will help you when Step 1 comes around, and will help prepare you for clinicals. Having a good attitude, knowledge base, work ethic, and bedside manner during clinical rotations will help you get good grades and good rec letters. Take each step seriously as it comes, give it your best, and you will probably end up somewhere good.

2 great posts here. And, for the pre-med who asked what AOA was, it's an honor society awarded to around the top 15% of each medical school class.

When is AOA usually announced? I know I'm not going to get in, but I'm hoping decisions aren't made until after September 15th when programs download apps.

As a followup question, I know someone who got into AOA after medical school. How is this possible? I'd love to get in at some point in my life.

When is AOA usually announced? I know I'm not going to get in, but I'm hoping decisions aren't made until after September 15th when programs download apps.

School specific. Some announce early, others after ranks lists have been submitted. Check with your school to find out, if they have aka that is. I don't know how one would join after med school other than if the school announces the aoa list at the end of fourth year.

You can be inducted into AOA as a resident or attending for excellence in medical education.

^this

Plus know somebody important and have a million dollars to donate to your top choice.

To anyone still interested in Residency pointers
A couple years later, I assure you, the most important facet to your M1-M4 edu is 1. That you are competitive with regards to your Step 1 and Step 2 board scores. 2. Once you reached the certain minimum threshold for the specific program of interest, hands down - by and far, the most important aspect is LORs. If you have an LOR from a well respected colleague of anyone making decisions regarding your application, I assure you that carries more weight than everything else combined. Attendings and Residency directors want to know that they can trust you with their patients if they step out for a min, or just in general. It sounds simple but those one liners on your residency app contain code words and phrases that key the reader in that, "this student/applicant can be trusted." I don't say this as a could be.. this is from 3 consecutive years of watching this process over and over. Think about it like any job -- You want to hire people you can trust, people who will best represent you and the way you practice/want to practice, etc.

Reactions: 1 users