how to get into post bacc with low gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awakening

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, new to forums and am in dire need of help. Haven't done too well would like to boost my gpa of 2.87-2.9. I was a Cell Biology major and I noticed that most post-bacc programs require a gpa of at least 3.0. How exactly do I get in to a post-bacc program then? I'd really like to get into USC post bacc, but with the gpa minimum it's kind of difficult. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you really have your heart set on USC or any post-bacc program with stat requirements higher than yours, you're going to have to bring your GPA up on the side with classes at a local U. If the programs are strict with their requirements, that's pretty much the only thing you can do.

Have you not had all of your pre-med pre-reqs given your major? USC is for career-changers, and you have to have not taken the pre-reqs, as those are pretty much the only classes that their program offers. I would think Molec. Bio would've had most if not all, but then again, I wasn't a Molec. Bio major, so...

I've seen some post-baccs on the AAMC website that have stats lower than yours; you might want to look into that. I've seen some as low as 2.7. I don't know, however, if those programs are only limited to disadvantaged students.

I just looked at the aamc site. It seems that most programs require students to be considered economically/educationally disadvantaged. I don't think I fall into this category, but I screwed up my grades due to the lack of drive and motivation. Is there any way to boost up my grades? It seems that post-bacc in California doesn't seem too useful at the moment with the requirements of being disadvantaged educationally/economically.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the only thing you can do at this point is go the informal route; that is, going to a place like SFSU or SJSU and taking classes to boost your GPA (or you could take Extension classes at Berkeley). You could do this, save yourself a ton of money by taking however many classes you needed and bypass the informal post-bacc route, and apply to med schools. But if you want the formal post-bacc, you'll have to just take classes on the side to raise your GPA.

also, if you work at the university, you get a discount (or free) classes - but then of course you wouldn't be able to take as many as if you weren't working at all. that's how i improved my transcript enough to i think make myself competitive for a post-bacc w/o going broke. especially in a lab environment there is a lot of flexibility usually with hours. if you go that route just be sure to knock out your work in both places!

zahque said:
just a shot in the dark here, but is english not your first language?

Just wondering, but what does this have to do with a post-bacc program?

MediMama23 said:
Just wondering, but what does this have to do with a post-bacc program?

it has nothing to do with a post-bac program. i thought "in dire help" was a funny expression. but thank you for being so enlightened and showing me the politically incorrect error of my ways.

i'm a changed man. hallelujah!

EDIT:

although now that i think about it seriously, poor grammar can certainly hurt your chances of getting into a post bac/med school.

zahque said:
it has nothing to do with a post-bac program. i thought "in dire help" was a funny expression. but thank you for being so enlightened and showing me the politically incorrect error of my ways.

i'm a changed man. hallelujah!

EDIT:

although now that i think about it seriously, poor grammar can certainly hurt your chances of getting into a post bac/med school.

:laugh:

Geez. Since when did forums require the use of proper grammar? I can't even get away with mistyping a few words. And yes, English is not my first language, if that's such a big deal around here. Changed my post just for you....

Why not just give it a shot? You are right on the border, and if you have something else good about you on the resume you might get in. I really doubt those minimum GPAs are set in stone except at more competitive post-baccs.

awakening said:
Hi, new to forums and am in dire need of help. Haven't done too well would like to boost my gpa of 2.87-2.9. I was a Cell Biology major and I noticed that most post-bacc programs require a gpa of at least 3.0. How exactly do I get in to a post-bacc program then? I'd really like to get into USC post bacc, but with the gpa minimum it's kind of difficult. Thanks.

good luck :thumbup: