How to get LOR during away rotation?

Started by Ruban
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ruban

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
So I'm currently doing an away rotation at a place I would be happy to go to for residency. I also hope to get an LOR. The problem? There's a different attending each day of the week, so over 4 weeks, I'll get to work with the attendings 4 days max. Moreover, I spend most of the days with the residents or fellows.

Any tips on how to get an LOR while on an away rotation? Thanks so much in advance :luck:
 
I had the same problem. I only worked for a doc for 2 days and asked him for a letter. First of all, it does not matter that it is away.

Okay, here's my story. I went to the hospital knowing I was going to work with a new attending each day. I had a friend who had rotated there last year who told me he worked with a Dr. B for only 3 days and asked for a letter not really knowing how he did. On one of his interviews the interviewer incidentally told hiim that Dr. B wrote him a great letter.

So I got to work with Dr. B for only 2 days. The only thing I could control was that I read ahead of time and showed alot of enthusiasm. After the 2 days, I wasnt sure but a friend of mine told me to ask him because she said it sounded positive because he let me do alot.

This is what I did, I asked him how he thought I did and he was mainly positive. Then I asked him if he could write a letter for me. he said yes but needed extra info about where I grew up and my hobbies and stuff to make it a more meaty letter. So it sounds like it will be positive.

Okay, so I say that you try to find someone who you had a positive experience with, try to work with them more if possible. Ask them how you did. If they are positive, ask them for a letter. Have your CV, cover letter and envelope ready. You can ask multiple people to.
 
I would advise finding an upper level resident (preferably a friendly one) and asking them what students in the past have done. I did 2 away rotations. On one, the chief resident told me he had heard good "buzz" around the department about me, and that I should ask the chair for a LOR. I did (about had a nervous breakdown), she said "yes" and I got a great letter. Only worked with her for 3 days total...

On my second rotation, I took the same approach. The chief told me that the attendings didn't write letters for visiting students. I did a little research and found out this was true across the board. It sucked - I got a great evaluation, but no letter. But I saved myself a lot of stress by finding out the background info before someone turned me down.