How to get more hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ice712

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder if any one works at the three letter company knows how to get more hours? I am getting extremely few # of hours per week so far... reached scheduler and the situation didn't improve much. Currently I am scheduled very few hours and the rest of the days I am kinna on on-call mode.

I wish I could find another full time job but all the jobs out there seem to be fake....

Members don't see this ad.

Let people know you will cover for them and ask them if you can cover any of their shifts.

The scheduler doesn't like us to cover personal shifts... it has to be gone through them...

Members don't see this ad :)
Your scheduler is insane then. Every scheduler I have ever had in every company I ever worked for loved people to cover their own shifts. I have had schedulers where it was a de facto requirement that if you want to take a day off you find your own coverage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
This is how companies keep bad performers in check. Start everyone as a floater, keep everyone PT and those who aren't total dead weight will get more hours and those who prove themselves semi-competent might even get a home store someday

Of course you end up in the vicious cycle where if you don't get enough hours you don't get enough experience dealing with your typical retail dog**** while dealing with typical understaffing. How do you get better if you don't get feedback?

Reactions: 1 user
Oh Gosh... I think I am grouped in this "dead weight" group.... though I heard from other managers that all floaters aren't getting enough hours...

They evaluate us based on the evaluation from the stores... and mostly complaining not finished things on time. I had to do virtually all stations my self when majority of stores understaffed. I find this unfair but it was a fact that I didn't finish things on time ... couldn't argue...

Stores aren't sending any good evaluation when I was doing good... so furious...

Your scheduler is insane then. Every scheduler I have ever had in every company I ever worked for loved people to cover their own shifts. I have had schedulers where it was a de facto requirement that if you want to take a day off you find your own coverage.

I heard people complaining about the scheduler but nothing happens afterwards ... oh well.. management sucks

Oh Gosh... I think I am grouped in this "dead weight" group.... though I heard from other managers that all floaters aren't getting enough hours...

They evaluate us based on the evaluation from the stores... and mostly complaining not finished things on time. I had to do virtually all stations my self when majority of stores understaffed. I find this unfair but it was a fact that I didn't finish things on time ... couldn't argue...

Stores aren't sending any good evaluation when I was doing good... so furious...

It’s still likely that most floaters are not getting enough hours. It’s a tough market out there. Some areas have overhired from what I heard and are giving under 20 hours per week.

Yeah totally,. My partners huband nearly died in a motorcycle accident easter weekend. Im the pic so i covered the weekend for her on the fly, and then arranged coverage for the next week or so! my scheduler was extremely thankful. Your essentially doing their job for them. sounds like the dont like you or something..? maybe trying to tire you out.

Yeah that's very strange. Anytime I tried to call out, their first question was if I had found coverage.