**How to get off a waitlist thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docjg17

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions/thoughts from people who have gotton off waitlists

LOIs? phone calls? emails? what did you do and why do you think it helped?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure there is a lot one can do about a waitlist. if I were on an adcom, and sitting there for many years, I would have created a system to have a waitlist that is both as fair and orderly as possible, i.e. one where I would rank waitlist candidates from strongest to weakest. That way, the moment an opening appears at my school, I would always try to pull the strongest candidates first.

Where any additional letters/updates/phone calls may come into play is

1) if you have something significant that would make you as appealling as one of the stronger candidates, i.e. publications, significant award or honor, etc. But I doubt that there could be any such sudden change over the last 3 months, such projects are usually mentioned in the application earlier.

2) If the case is that you are ranked lower than 2 or 3 other candidates and you are all relatively similar in "desireability." Then if you are the only one to write a letter that has good updates and sincere desire to go the said school, then you may be chosen before the other 2 or 3.

Purely conjecture here.

I am not sure there is a lot one can do about a waitlist. if I were on an adcom, and sitting there for many years, I would have created a system to have a waitlist that is both as fair and orderly as possible, i.e. one where I would rank waitlist candidates from strongest to weakest. That way, the moment an opening appears at my school, I would always try to pull the strongest candidates first.

Where any additional letters/updates/phone calls may come into play is

1) if you have something significant that would make you as appealling as one of the stronger candidates, i.e. publications, significant award or honor, etc. But I doubt that there could be any such sudden change over the last 3 months, such projects are usually mentioned in the application earlier.

2) If the case is that you are ranked lower than 2 or 3 other candidates and you are all relatively similar in "desireability." Then if you are the only one to write a letter that has good updates and sincere desire to go the said school, then you may be chosen before the other 2 or 3.

Purely conjecture here.

To conjecture some more, also consider the fact that by the time a school is admitting off of a waitlist, they are trying to fill open spots in their class, especially as it gets closer and closer to the first day of classes. Therefore, they want to admit people who will actually matriculate. I do think that expressing sincere interest to a school and writting a LOI could help you out. My mentor (who has mentored a lot of premeds in the past), claims this makes a big difference for similar candidates. She told me one her of students really wanted to go to Vandy, and arranged a phone interview, basically confessed her love to Vandy, and got admitted on the spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone ever asked a pre-med advisor to step in and make a phone call? I would think this might help but honestly have no idea.

Thanks!!

withdraw.

Yeah, how many times are you willing to say a rosary per day?

praying vs. LOI: at least an LOI might work

praying vs. LOI: at least an LOI might work

What about sending an LOI to Jesus.

"Dear Jesus,

If you get me into X School of Medicine, I will withdraw all other acceptances immediately and matriculate. You know I'm not lying, because I live through you and you are my being. So techinically, you are writing this letter through me to yourself.

Your humble servant,
Females

PS: I know I shouldn't have had that third shot of tequila"

:smuggrin:

I would find out when the school usually taps their waitlist, and send an LOI one week before that date. That said, I'd estimate that an LOI makes only a 1% difference. Schools rank everyone on their waitlist and pick from the top, so they have already decided who will be chosen first.

I've heard a letter of interest or a letter of intent may be helpful, continually keeping in contact with the admissions people and showing you have an interest in their school helps. I was not waitlisted but I did have to wait for my acceptance, and I wrote a letter of intent during that time to the admissions dean. Don't know if it helped but I did get into a school that I was on the border for.

I know 2 options that ALWAYS work:

1. Get accepted.

2. Withdraw.

That is all.

What about sending an LOI to Jesus.

"Dear Jesus,

If you get me into X School of Medicine, I will withdraw all other acceptances immediately and matriculate. You know I'm not lying, because I live through you and you are my being. So techinically, you are writing this letter through me to yourself.

Your humble servant,
Females

PS: I know I shouldn't have had that third shot of tequila"

:smuggrin:

Why not just ask him to grant you the power to heal the sick, and just skip the whole MD thing?

Why not just ask him to grant you the power to heal the sick, and just skip the whole MD thing?

Don't be greedy... I think that might be a sin. Plus, you have all of medical school, residency, and your career to ask for that power ;)

Thanks!!
It really depends on the school. My program doesn't seem to care about LOIs, but I think other schools might. If I were you, I would contact students you know at that school (or ask for someone to help you on SDN) and ask their advice. Good luck, I hope you get off your waitlist. :luck: