How to get shadowing experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspalaceburns

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the best way to contact doctors to ask them if it is ok to shadow them. I have already shadowed two doctors, but they have left the area. I tried asking my pre-med advisor but she said that right now they were having trouble getting physicians for shadowing. I would apprieciate any advice on how to contact doctors asking for a shadowing experience.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Ask docs you meet while gaining your clinical epxerience.
2) Ask family and friends who know doctors to make a contact on your behalf.
3) Ask your pediatrician or family doctor who cared for you as a child.
4) (Distant last choice, IMO) Cold calls to strangers' offices.

Check the physician directory on the website of the hospital and email doctors in the specialty you want to learn more about. Explain who you are, why you're interested in shadowing, etc. Keep it short but courteous.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering what the best way to contact doctors to ask them if it is ok to shadow them. I have already shadowed two doctors, but they have left the area. I tried asking my pre-med advisor but she said that right now they were having trouble getting physicians for shadowing. I would apprieciate any advice on how to contact doctors asking for a shadowing experience.

Cold calls... I made about 20 of them, explained how I was a pre-med student from X University, yadda, yadda, and got 2 office to take me in. Judging by my statistics, your odds are actually pretty good.

Adcoms like to see shadowing in the primary care field... I found asking my personal physician to be the best for this. Also, if you shadow your family physician/pediatrician they might be able to give you names of other doctors in certain fields you think you might be interested in.

The other thing that worked for me was asking friends/family if they knew doctors. I found a random connection in the field I wanted to pursue. That connection set me up with herself and other doctors in the department for about 10 days of shadowing in all the different divisions of that specialty (Peds Hem/Onc so I did days with neuro-onc, sickle cell, hemophilia, solid tumors, bmt, etc)

Many have said it is beneficially to volunteer in a hospital and meet people there- I volunteered for 3+ years but the area I was in didn't have physician interaction (but I loved what I did).

It's too bad that your adviser isn't able to help more- my undergrad had a list of over 100 doctors in our area willing to have premeds shadow with them and helped us get in touch with them. Look for free clinics/christian clinics/etc in your area too- sometimes that can kill two birds with one stone in that you get to work with a variety of physicians (most of them are volunteering to be there and won't mind having you tag along with them) and have a good place to get some volunteer hours and experience as well.