How to get the volunteer when I am a international student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Linettellin

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I am a international student , and now studying in CUNY Hunter College, I am looking for a volunteer for applying to the DPT program after I graduate in two years, but there are a lot of hospital won't accept the applicant which is not a US citizen or doesn't have a SSN, so I am wondering if anybody have this problem as well?
 
International student here.

1. Do yourself a favor and get an SSN. The International Students' Office at your school will help you with the application. If I recall correctly, you just need to tell the SSN people that you want to have an on-campus job - because that's what you are going to primarily need an SSN for while in college.

2. When you say "don't accept the applicant", do you mean for a paid position? None of the places (including hospitals) I shadowed at cared whether I was a citizen and none asked for my SSN.
 
International student here.

1. Do yourself a favor and get an SSN. The International Students' Office at your school will help you with the application. If I recall correctly, you just need to tell the SSN people that you want to have an on-campus job - because that's what you are going to primarily need an SSN for while in college.

2. When you say "don't accept the applicant", do you mean for a paid position? None of the places (including hospitals) I shadowed at cared whether I was a citizen and none asked for my SSN.

Really? I think I have to exactly get a job in campus, and then they will help with the SSN. Which state are you in? I don't think so, because I searched for volunteer requirement, this position is not supposed to get paid, but still they ask for SSN, they would consider you if you don't have it
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. I guess you do need a job offer, I can't remember anymore, it's been so long! Can you get a job in the library for like 5 hours a week or something?

2. In this case volunteering isn't the way to go because "volunteering" implies you will be doing stuff, therefore the hospital is liable for you. Say you're looking to "observe".
 
1. I guess you do need a job offer, I can't remember anymore, it's been so long! Can you get a job in the library for like 5 hours a week or something?

2. In this case volunteering isn't the way to go because "volunteering" implies you will be doing stuff, therefore the hospital is liable for you. Say you're looking to "observe".


ok, thanks, where did you volunteer ?
 
When I was shadowing, I was in Boston, MA - a private outpatient practice, an acute hospital, a rehab hospital, and a hospital-based sports PT facility. I also shadowed at an outpatient practice over in Queens (Long Island City).
 
They didn't even ask you for the SSN? Would you mind to give me the name of the outpatient practice in Queens, then I can check it out