How to get Volunteer Work/Internships?

Solomon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so being a high school student, the experience you can get is quite...slim. I was wondering if there was anyway to get some type of volunteer work done or Internships in at a Hospital or Doctors office. Who would i talk to? A manager? (Excuse my lack of business terminology)

I live in NC. Not sure that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so being a high school student, the experience you can get is quite...slim. I was wondering if there was anyway to get some type of volunteer work done or Internships in at a Hospital or Doctors office. Who would i talk to? A manager? (Excuse my lack of business terminology)

I was wondering the same thing. I know how to get typical volunteer experience but I want to volunteer in a hospital.

I was wondering the same thing. I know how to get typical volunteer experience but I want to volunteer in a hospital.

I volunteer at a hospital. I love it so much that I have over 4000 hours in just a year.

Contact your hospital's volunteer department. That's what I did. I have lots of patient contact. The doctors like me so much that I went on rounds with the hospitalists.

Wheelchair the patients around and I talk to them. I also go with the nurses and pass things to her and I also manage the volunteer department. I get called off hours for department related stuff.

I'm addicted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I volunteer at a hospital. I love it so much that I have over 4000 hours in just a year.

Contact your hospital's volunteer department. That's what I did. I have lots of patient contact. The doctors like me so much that I went on rounds with the hospitalists.

Wheelchair the patients around and I talk to them. I also go with the nurses and pass things to her and I also manage the volunteer department. I get called off hours for department related stuff.

I'm addicted.

Dang... 4000? That's more than most college students have.

Dang... 4000? That's more than most college students have.

I know :laugh:

Since my dad is a CT surgeon I used to go there all day. I practically lived in the hospital.

Think 12 hour days there almost at least everyday. My girlfriend used to get upset that I spent more time with the hospital than I did with her.

I'm taking an online CNA class, just because when I graduate, the entire summer i can work as a CNA.

I absolutely LOVE patient care. I love it.

Love it, love it, love it.

Many hospitals and other medical organizations offer volunteer programs, I have alot of friends who volunteer with Hospice. You have to search around for positions. It has taken me months just to find a physician to shadow.

Since my dad is a CT surgeon I used to go there all day. I practically lived in the hospital.

Think 12 hour days there almost at least everyday. My girlfriend used to get upset that I spent more time with the hospital than I did with her.

I'm taking an online CNA class, just because when I graduate, the entire summer i can work as a CNA.

You will be good at whatever healthcare job you do. I can just tell.

For the CNA course (I was looking at it online - it looks totally amazing :) ; I actually had seen RN courses before - but you need to be 18? I think? - does this work the same way?)

Which school are you taking it with online?

I'm getting totally excited just looking at it!!!! This summer - I'm going to be volunteering at a hospital for two months!!! I can't wait :) I absolutely love working at the hospital! I volunteered at a nursing home last summer, and the summer before that I was at the same hospital - I can't wait to be going back :) :) :)

You really just need to go on websites. Many hospitals offer volunteering which you can apply for send in your resume and get an interview.

For shadowing you will need to just contact a physician, go see if you have any connections. To be perfectly honest, volunteering is enough, no one is going to expect you to have high school shadowing experience. If you do its nice but certainly not expected.

Thanks for all the replies. I contacted my nearest hospital (Duke) and they said I could begin Shadowing by Mid-March :D

But I'll probably have to wait until Summer, due to school

Also, another question (Hopefully the last), Is there a way to get some research experience in as well? The only one I've managed to find doesn't start until the summer. Any help is appreciated :)

You will be good at whatever healthcare job you do. I can just tell.

Thanks bro, I appreciate it :thumbup:

For the CNA course (I was looking at it online - it looks totally amazing :) ; I actually had seen RN courses before - but you need to be 18? I think? - does this work the same way?)

Which school are you taking it with online?

I'm getting totally excited just looking at it!!!! This summer - I'm going to be volunteering at a hospital for two months!!! I can't wait :) I absolutely love working at the hospital! I volunteered at a nursing home last summer, and the summer before that I was at the same hospital - I can't wait to be going back :) :) :)

I'm taking it online at my local community college, and to be an RN you would have to go to nursing school. Which is years longer than the couple of months it takes to become a CNA.

I wish I were going to high school in Britain or something. I would be going to medical school next year :(

When I decided I wanted to go to medical school I went to the nearest hosiptal and just went to the volunteer dept. After volunteering for a year they noticed my drive and determination and hired me as a tech/nurses aide which was a huge amount of patient experience. It also helped me tremendously when it came to being able to relate to anyone who worked in the hosiptal, from techs to maintenace to house keeping to the docs. Good luck!