How to go about shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMagic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know some basic information about how to go about asking to shadow a doctor. What do you do when you shadow: observe, take notes, ask questions? I am at a big university in a smallish town, should I try to get in contact with private practices or university doctors? Should I shadow several doctors with different specalitys? If you ask to shadow a doctor does he/she expect you to come in a lot, or as much as you like given his/her availibilities? What is a respectable amount of shadowing time? Should I try and shadow doctors that have connections to the schools I am interested in, or any doctors? I will be going in the operating room to watch some surgeries as part of some orthopaedic research I am doing, does that count as shadowing? I am planning on contacting local practices by email initially to ask if their is a possibility for me to shadow the doctors, is this a good idea? Please give me the information I need to have a succesful shadowing experience for medical school applications.

Members don't see this ad.