How to handle authorship dispute?

Started by WC_MD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WC_MD

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m seeking advice on a situation that I feel stuck in.

Short story: There is a dispute between PI and another author over the author list on my project. I am involved projects that I thought would be submitted by now except that they cannot agree on the order of authors. This has delayed projects now for ~6 months. What is the appropriate course of action? Or am I just truly powerless in this situation?

Im worried lack of publications will hurt my application.
 
Last edited:
I really don’t think the schools that interview you are going to be waiting for a publication update and then in March say “he never gave us one! trash pile!!!”
They care about you gaining experience, knowing what you’re in for, and being able to talk intelligently about it.

I can’t imagine there’s much you can do in the authorship dispute. I also don’t understand why it isn’t just the PI’s decision at this point.