How to handle D2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nucleophile-DDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am curious how D2 looks like. Some people said it's the hardest year of dental school but I am not sure why. I would appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I am curious how D2 looks like. Some people said it's the hardest year of dental school but I am not sure why. I would appreciate your input.
C7C71243-6D19-4288-865A-24A50B261930.gif

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Easily the most depressing and difficult 10 months of my life. Sleeping, studying, lab work. That was it. It sucks but it eventually ends.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
D2 year was my favorite year. We had a mix of didactics and clinic and finally getting to do procedures made didactics seem worth it.

Anyone have advice for pharm and oral path?

Interesting input...now that we are shifting to the INDBE second year shouldn't be the worst year anymore. Mine wasn't too bad.

Last edited:
Never got the vanilla D2 experience since I was studying for CBSE during this time so my focus was first that exam then school. Always felt like school was in the way so I guess it was definitely busy. You start shifting your responsibilities from easy chil in pijamas in bed and studying to gotta actually show up and produce physical work. Third year you get more responsibility and fourth year you have real life responsibility on you.
Dental school get harder bottom line. Way easier maybe not enjoyable to only have didactic responsibilities. But also you learn to manage better and you don’t have to be thrown into new things so by end of dental school perhaps it fells easier?

I think I liked D2 year more than D1 year. A little more studying, but at this point you know how to do dental school already. For me, each year was better than the previous in dental school.
So, do D2 year just like the same way you did D1 year. It's not all that different.

But if you are wondering what it was like, I think at our school it was either 23-26 credits per semester.. Lots of lab based courses, and it was a little more dental focused than D1 year. If you want to be at the top of your class, it sucks because you will have to sacrifice sleep and social life a bit to make it happen.

One day at a time. One exam at a time. One practical at a time.

Make a list of ALL your exams and practicals starting with the soonest one and listing them through the end of the year. It’s going to be a long list, but you will be surprised at how fast you will be crossing them off as done.

D2 is a test of resiliency. Many people less intelligent than you have made it through, so can you.

Reactions: 3 users