How to handle things when on the other side of the exam table...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bitsy3221

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will try and keep this as vague as possible so that no one thinks I am asking for specific medical advice, and I apologize if I seem clueless, I've just never been in this positions before....

As a new med school grad who is currently is that lovely gray zone before the paychecks start coming and insurance kicks in, what can one expect if a procedure does not turn out as expected? Who pays to have this problem fixed? I will add onto that that this is, for the most part, a cash-upfront specialty (dental) but was NOT a cosmetic or elective procedure.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a similar situation right now. My dentist has agreed to re-do the procedure for 1/4 of the original cost. It's frustrating to have pay for something that shouldn't have happened, but definitely better than having to pay the full price again.

Hope things turn out well for you!

They may offer you a discount to be nice, but unless there was actual negligence involved (which you would have to file a lawsuit to deal with), there is nothing that says they have to cut you a deal. The outcome is not guaranteed for any procedure. Doesn't matter if it is cosmetic, elective, or whatever. Sucks for you.

I will try and keep this as vague as possible so that no one thinks I am asking for specific medical advice, and I apologize if I seem clueless, I've just never been in this positions before....

As a new med school grad who is currently is that lovely gray zone before the paychecks start coming and insurance kicks in, what can one expect if a procedure does not turn out as expected? Who pays to have this problem fixed? I will add onto that that this is, for the most part, a cash-upfront specialty (dental) but was NOT a cosmetic or elective procedure.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!
dpmd is correct. Dental procedures are just like medical ones: in general the success rates are good, but for a given patient there are no guarantees; any number of circumstances can cloud the prognosis. As long as you understood that, there's not much you can do unless you can prove there's more that s/he should have done. Whatever your situation is, sorry it didn't work out the way you'd hoped.