1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

How to handle things when on the other side of the exam table...

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by Bitsy3221, May 14, 2007.

1. Bitsy3221

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I will try and keep this as vague as possible so that no one thinks I am asking for specific medical advice, and I apologize if I seem clueless, I've just never been in this positions before....

As a new med school grad who is currently is that lovely gray zone before the paychecks start coming and insurance kicks in, what can one expect if a procedure does not turn out as expected? Who pays to have this problem fixed? I will add onto that that this is, for the most part, a cash-upfront specialty (dental) but was NOT a cosmetic or elective procedure.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chocolate-e

chocolate-e Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm in a similar situation right now. My dentist has agreed to re-do the procedure for 1/4 of the original cost. It's frustrating to have pay for something that shouldn't have happened, but definitely better than having to pay the full price again.

Hope things turn out well for you!

4. dpmd

dpmd Relaxing
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    They may offer you a discount to be nice, but unless there was actual negligence involved (which you would have to file a lawsuit to deal with), there is nothing that says they have to cut you a deal. The outcome is not guaranteed for any procedure. Doesn't matter if it is cosmetic, elective, or whatever. Sucks for you.

5. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    dpmd is correct. Dental procedures are just like medical ones: in general the success rates are good, but for a given patient there are no guarantees; any number of circumstances can cloud the prognosis. As long as you understood that, there's not much you can do unless you can prove there's more that s/he should have done. Whatever your situation is, sorry it didn't work out the way you'd hoped.