How to handle tough (personal) interview questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sassykat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm worried about a couple questions I have a feeling are going to come up.

One quarter on my transcript is a complete mess. I withdrew from a class halfway in, i P/F a class and failed, and I got borderline 2.0's in my other classes (unfortunately gave me a harsh drop in gpa). Obviously, something was up. The good thing is I came back the next quarter with extra credits and killed it! I kind of danced around the details on my apps in the space where you describe anything that has affected your academics. The truth is, I was in a 3 yr relationship that ended and it broke my heart..never experienced anything like that before. I've heard that talking about relationships are a big NO-NO in interviews..but I don't want to lie. How should this be approached if they ask me about it? Anyone ever have this kind of dilemma?

The other question I worry about is something very personal I wrote about in my apps. Of course I am making it "public" by writing about it in apps, but it's not something I feel comfortable talking about. I'm scared i'm going to break down..how would this look to the interviewer? That you're faking it, or not a strong person? :/

Members don't see this ad.

I'm worried about a couple questions I have a feeling are going to come up.

One quarter on my transcript is a complete mess. I withdrew from a class halfway in, i P/F a class and failed, and I got borderline 2.0's in my other classes (unfortunately gave me a harsh drop in gpa). Obviously, something was up. The good thing is I came back the next quarter with extra credits and killed it! I kind of danced around the details on my apps in the space where you describe anything that has affected your academics. The truth is, I was in a 3 yr relationship that ended and it broke my heart..never experienced anything like that before. I've heard that talking about relationships are a big NO-NO in interviews..but I don't want to lie. How should this be approached if they ask me about it? Anyone ever have this kind of dilemma? :/

Don't emphasize on where you've fallen down, but instead where you picked yourself up and got back in the game.

The other question I worry about is something very personal I wrote about in my apps. Of course I am making it "public" by writing about it in apps, but it's not something I feel comfortable talking about. I'm scared i'm going to break down..how would this look to the interviewer? That you're faking it, or not a strong person? :/

It is rare that an interviewer will actually bring up something very specific about your application (besides grades) unless you bring it up first (typically, questions are "Why dentistry?", "why this school?", "tell me about your research/volunteer experience/leadership skills?"

I think you will be fine. gl