How to impress a patient

Started by Caverject
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Caverject

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mom's kid got some eye trauma. He looked like he was in a fight but I wasn't even about to go there. Gave me an rx for pred forte and homotropine eye drops. Of course, I don't have the homotropine and its 5:04 pm so the doctor's line has gone to service already. When I begin to explain the situation, mom gets snappy with me and says "give me my rx back" in a rage. +pissed+

Before I hand it back to her, I say I realize you need this medication and can not wait till monday. Would you like me to find it for you? She simmers down a little and asks me to call the CVS next door. I call them and after waiting 5 minutes on hold I get some jackass from islamabad pakistan that speaks english well enough to work at 7-11 to tell me he doesn't have the time to look for me and to call back in an hour. Instead of telling the patient what happened I begin to call around to the other pharmacies in the area. After my 11th call, (yes 11th! I felt bad for baby mike tyson) I found it at an obscure independent across town.

I go back to the patient after 10 minutes of screwing around on the phone and get to see mom giving me a wonderful frown on her face. I begin to explain that the drug is available at xyz independent 15 minuntes away. She then questions me and says, there are 15 pharmacys in the area and you couldnt find it closer? I look at her and smile 😀 and say this is not a popular drug. I called (went thru the list) and finally found it here. It looks like you son needs this so this is where its at.....blah blah blah....

She says thank you and takes off in a huff.

An hour later, my store manager comes by and tells me of the compliment I received on the phone by the patient and she will forever return to my pharmacy. 👍 This sort of made my day!
 
Did the manager also pad you on the head and give you a doggy treat?
 
Mom's kid got some eye trauma. He looked like he was in a fight but I wasn't even about to go there. Gave me an rx for pred forte and homotropine eye drops. Of course, I don't have the homotropine and its 5:04 pm so the doctor's line has gone to service already. When I begin to explain the situation, mom gets snappy with me and says "give me my rx back" in a rage. +pissed+

Before I hand it back to her, I say I realize you need this medication and can not wait till monday. Would you like me to find it for you? She simmers down a little and asks me to call the CVS next door. I call them and after waiting 5 minutes on hold I get some jackass from islamabad pakistan that speaks english well enough to work at 7-11 to tell me he doesn't have the time to look for me and to call back in an hour. Instead of telling the patient what happened I begin to call around to the other pharmacies in the area. After my 11th call, (yes 11th! I felt bad for baby mike tyson) I found it at an obscure independent across town.

I go back to the patient after 10 minutes of screwing around on the phone and get to see mom giving me a wonderful frown on her face. I begin to explain that the drug is available at xyz independent 15 minuntes away. She then questions me and says, there are 15 pharmacys in the area and you couldnt find it closer? I look at her and smile 😀 and say this is not a popular drug. I called (went thru the list) and finally found it here. It looks like you son needs this so this is where its at.....blah blah blah....

She says thank you and takes off in a huff.

An hour later, my store manager comes by and tells me of the compliment I received on the phone by the patient and she will forever return to my pharmacy. 👍 This sort of made my day!

The patients usually initally never show or expresses ANY kind of graditude initially, but when you hear that they actually did acknowledge your hard work that you did for them, for some reason, it's these little things that really seem to turn my day around, wheater it's a call to say thank you the next day, or something in your case. It really puts a smile on my face.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Awesome Fiction! You trying to be a writer?


Mom's kid got some eye trauma. He looked like he was in a fight but I wasn't even about to go there. Gave me an rx for pred forte and homotropine eye drops. Of course, I don't have the homotropine and its 5:04 pm so the doctor's line has gone to service already. When I begin to explain the situation, mom gets snappy with me and says "give me my rx back" in a rage. +pissed+

Before I hand it back to her, I say I realize you need this medication and can not wait till monday. Would you like me to find it for you? She simmers down a little and asks me to call the CVS next door. I call them and after waiting 5 minutes on hold I get some jackass from islamabad pakistan that speaks english well enough to work at 7-11 to tell me he doesn't have the time to look for me and to call back in an hour. Instead of telling the patient what happened I begin to call around to the other pharmacies in the area. After my 11th call, (yes 11th! I felt bad for baby mike tyson) I found it at an obscure independent across town.

I go back to the patient after 10 minutes of screwing around on the phone and get to see mom giving me a wonderful frown on her face. I begin to explain that the drug is available at xyz independent 15 minuntes away. She then questions me and says, there are 15 pharmacys in the area and you couldnt find it closer? I look at her and smile 😀 and say this is not a popular drug. I called (went thru the list) and finally found it here. It looks like you son needs this so this is where its at.....blah blah blah....

She says thank you and takes off in a huff.

An hour later, my store manager comes by and tells me of the compliment I received on the phone by the patient and she will forever return to my pharmacy. 👍 This sort of made my day!
 
good stuff caverject! That is the sort of thing that keeps me sane in this job. I find myself cursing the profession during those 60 rxs/hour, 1 technician ( trainee), nothing-going-right, kinda days but just one appreciative and thankful patient goes a long way.
 
Mom's kid got some eye trauma. He looked like he was in a fight but I wasn't even about to go there. Gave me an rx for pred forte and homotropine eye drops. Of course, I don't have the homotropine and its 5:04 pm so the doctor's line has gone to service already. When I begin to explain the situation, mom gets snappy with me and says "give me my rx back" in a rage. +pissed+

Before I hand it back to her, I say I realize you need this medication and can not wait till monday. Would you like me to find it for you? She simmers down a little and asks me to call the CVS next door. I call them and after waiting 5 minutes on hold I get some jackass from islamabad pakistan that speaks english well enough to work at 7-11 to tell me he doesn't have the time to look for me and to call back in an hour. Instead of telling the patient what happened I begin to call around to the other pharmacies in the area. After my 11th call, (yes 11th! I felt bad for baby mike tyson) I found it at an obscure independent across town.

I go back to the patient after 10 minutes of screwing around on the phone and get to see mom giving me a wonderful frown on her face. I begin to explain that the drug is available at xyz independent 15 minuntes away. She then questions me and says, there are 15 pharmacys in the area and you couldnt find it closer? I look at her and smile 😀 and say this is not a popular drug. I called (went thru the list) and finally found it here. It looks like you son needs this so this is where its at.....blah blah blah....

She says thank you and takes off in a huff.

An hour later, my store manager comes by and tells me of the compliment I received on the phone by the patient and she will forever return to my pharmacy. 👍 This sort of made my day!



............then your store manager continues on to say that they also received a complaint from some old bitty who said she had to wait 10 minutes (while you were on the phone of course) just to ask the pharmacist which laxatives were better than the other............
 
After she gives you crap for something that isn't your fault, you still feel good about her worthless compliment? I can only imagine what you would've heard from her if you didnt come back with a pharmacy that had the drug...

That's the kinda of BS that i dealt with regularly at Rite Aid. It makes me not miss it at all now that i quit
 
Fairly aggressive response there undertow. I think that you have to see the good in people when dealing with the public like we do. Obviously, this lady went home and her son got the medication, she had a chance to cool down and her good sense came out and she realized how much Caverject had actually helped her, then she called.
For the most part, if you are helpful and empathetic to the situation that they are in ( child is sick, have been at the hospital for 5 hours, hungry (maybe), haven't been home to feed the dogs, etc etc) they will usually come around and realize that you are helping them. If you dig in your heels and tell them to go somewhere else b/c you dont have it without offering an explanation there will be no chance to see that patient "come around".
I know that it isnt right for patients to take their frustrations out on us but that is the reality sometimes.
what do you think?
 
I've been lobbying for a tip jar for months.

Sure, I'll call your insurance company for you. *Points at tip jar*

If Pizza delivery guys can get money for doing their job, why can't I get some for going above and beyond?
 
that's the thing....people say mean things all the time and then come back and apologize. f-ing --tch and next day....I am very sorry. It's just not fair. We can't say go to hell, and call em back and apologize the next day. a doctor's office may never see them again if they were to act like that and you the pharmacist had to go on feeling highly unappreciated.


but AT LEAST they made some effort.