How to improve my application for next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you kidding me? If you're only accepted to a "lowered tiered" UC (as if there really were such a thing as an undesirable UC) you are seriously considering what course of action you should take, besides going happily to a school that accepted you?

It's becoming increasingly clear to me that the reason other people with "inferior" stats to yours got into Top 20 schools: you privilege is showing. Real bad. If you act even one tenth as entitled as you do here in your interviews, I can see what the problem is. What is so bad to you about going to this school that you just interviewed at? You really think you'll get a lesser education at a school like this, or surrounded by "dumb" people with their sub-35 MCATs?

Sorry if I come off as harsh. But it sounds like you need a reality check. My eyes rolled back into my skull reading this post.

I don't think he got accepted anywhere yet. But yeah his pompousness is showing a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

My final interview went pretty well, however it was at a school that I don't jump for joy over (lower UC) because I hope to enter a program that caters to students seeking hyper-competitive residencies.

At this point, I have come to terms with the idea of reapplying next cycle in a more timely manner. It pains me greatly to wade through the statistics of accepted students at top 20 schools and to see my stats are greater than almost all of them (and its not like my ECs or UG are a joke). If anyone is willing to offer advice/critique my application, I would greatly appreciate it.

What are your thoughts on such matters SDN? Say I am accepted to this school and none of the others. What do you think my course of action should be?

There are a number of things wrong with this post, but I'll limit my reply to your last question. In order:

1. If you are fortunate enough to be accepted, be truly grateful and happy for that acceptance. Make plans to matriculate.
2. Get over yourself, and realize that stats, while important, are only one piece of the puzzle.

It is a privilege to be a physician, not a right. Nor is it a reward for being smart or getting good grades. It is a field of service. A physician's training is paid for largely by the public (even at private schools). A school's responsibility is to those who will ultimately be the recipients of care, not to the applicants.

Wow, this is fantastic. I wish I would have read this 10 times before every interview and incorporated the concepts into my answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
My final interview went pretty well, however it was at a school that I don't jump for joy over (lower UC) because I hope to enter a program that caters to students seeking hyper-competitive residencies.

??
"lower tier UC"??? Do you mean UCR? the new med school?

You need to be grateful for any MD SOM that accepts you.

I'm sure there are a number of people who'll read your post and hope that this SOM will reject you.

Last edited:

At this point, I have come to terms with the idea of reapplying next cycle in a more timely manner. It pains me greatly to wade through the statistics of accepted students at top 20 schools and to see my stats are greater than almost all of them (and its not like my ECs or UG are a joke). If anyone is willing to offer advice/critique my application, I would greatly appreciate it.

What are your thoughts on such matters SDN? Say I am accepted to this school and none of the others. What do you think my course of action should be?

Withdraw, and let someone who actually has a sense of humility, self-awareness and gratitude take the spot instead.

thanks for the reality check, i think if i had not received invites from top schools (or if i hadnt shot my foot this cycle by applying late...ill always wonder what couldvr been) id leap at the chance to go to this school.

if i get in, great. if i dont, i have a chance to do much much better next time.

This guy is literally "too cool for (med) school"

It's pretty easy to tell someone's gender by the way they post. Your personality comes off very strongly through your choice of words.

thanks for the reality check, i think if i had not received invites from top schools (or if i hadnt shot my foot this cycle by applying late...ill always wonder what couldvr been) id leap at the chance to go to this school.

if i get in, great. if i dont, i have a chance to do much much better next time.

I just don't understand how you would want to waste another year of your life (and not to mention all that money applying, traveling, etc) just to go to a "better" school. All the UC schools are excellent (and have plenty of research opportunities) and if you work your ass off in med school you can end up anywhere for residency in whatever specialty you'd like. And it is probably your residency (and beyond) training that will dictate your ability to ultimately work in academics anyways.

Take a step back for a moment and think about things. You may end up in medical school and become a doctor. As long as you get in somewhere, anything is possible in terms of your career.

OP, please do us a favor and don't matriculated to this low-ranking UC school if you get in. You'd be doing yourself a disservice by not shooting for a top 20 school. You know you're capable of getting in! Not only that, you're totally deserving of an acceptance at a top school! Don't they know what they're missing out on? A quick read through this thread would surely convince adcoms of what a great applicant you are. Don't let these naysayers get you down, take another year off, apply early, and you should have top schools begging you to attend.

Good luck with your med school goals in 2014!

OP, please do us a favor and don't matriculated to this low-ranking UC school if you get in. You'd be doing yourself a disservice by not shooting for a top 20 school. You know you're capable of getting in! Not only that, you're totally deserving of an acceptance at a top school! Don't they know what they're missing out on? A quick read through this thread would surely convince adcoms of what a great applicant you are. Don't let these naysayers get you down, take another year off, apply early, and you should have top schools begging you to attend.

Good luck with your med school goals in 2014!

quality post

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

Forget about the "woulda, shoulda, coulda." The goal is getting into a US MD med school. If you're one of the lucky accepted ones, grab that brass ring and give it all you've got.

One thing to keep in mind.... If you end up being one of the brightest students at your SOM, then take advantage of that (ethically) in every opportunity that arises. Graduate at the top of your class. Get all that can come with that. (If you matriculate at a top SOM, you may get lost in the crowd of super achieving MCAT 39+ students).

Forget about the "woulda, shoulda, coulda." The goal is getting into a US MD med school. If you're one of the lucky accepted ones, grab that brass ring and give it all you've got.

One thing to keep in mind.... If you end up being one of the brightest students at your SOM, then take advantage of that (ethically) in every opportunity that arises. Graduate at the top of your class. Get all that can come with that. (If you matriculate at a top SOM, you may get lost in the crowd of super achieving MCAT 39+ students).

Disagree. OP, definitely pull your app from this "lesser" UC, citing that you know you deserve better than them. Also pull your apps from those other few top schools you interviewed at. Reapply next year to only top ten schools - anything ranked lower is not worthy of your application. Incorporate everything you've said here into your revised personal statement, making sure to emphasize what you said about how it's not fair that almost all the people on the internet accepted to top-ranked schools have lower stats than you. You're right. Life experiences, humility, passion, desire to serve... none of these things matter in admissions, especially compared to a privileged white-bread male with stats as wonderful as yours. Make sure you only matriculate to whatever school is ranked #1 at the time, otherwise you will have shot yourself in the foot as far as landing a competitive residency at a competitive program. Without that, you'll never get all the chicks, money, and prestige you so deserve.

OP, I'm so happy to see people like you entering this noble profession and serving our communities. There definitely needs to be much more pomposity and grandiose sense of self worth in the field of medicine :)

Last edited: