How to improve my chances for the next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tpwelie34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am currently a junior in college with a cGPA/sGPA of 3.6. So far, I am getting straight A's in all of my classes this quarter and will try to bring my sGPA up to about 3.7 by the time June rolls around. I currently have 3 LOR's (Bio Research Professor (1 quarter of research)/ Ochem/ Dentist) with about 150 hours of shadowing. I will volunteer during my winter break for roughly 150 hours at the local animal shelter. I have not taken the DAT yet but I am aiming for a high a score as possible when I do take it this summer. I am wondering aside from GPA/DAT scores, are my EC's too lacking at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

You look really solid! I have a question though: why would you be volunteering at an animal shelter when volunteering at say a free dental clinic would not only give you a lot more exposure, but look way better on your app?

Being in a research lab also looks good. If you can take it for credit, I suggest you do so because it would help your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
You look really solid! I have a question though: why would you be volunteering at an animal shelter when volunteering at say a free dental clinic would not only give you a lot more exposure, but look way better on your app?

It's good to volunteer in the dental field.

However, I think it's fine that the original poster has activities outside of dental. I have seen secondaries/supplemental applications that ask to write about non-dental related volunteer work or anything non-dental.

So, it's good to have both dental and non-dental ECs. As long as it's something you like to do, that's wonderful!

It's good to volunteer in the dental field.

However, I think it's fine that the original poster has activities outside of dental. I have seen secondaries/supplemental applications that ask to write about non-dental related volunteer work or anything non-dental.

So, it's good to have both dental and non-dental ECs. As long as it's something you like to do, that's wonderful!

I agree. Volunteering outside of dentistry is also a good way to show you have other interests. I have a lot of volunteering in wildlife rehab centers and interviewers seemed really impressed. But really, volunteering is completely voluntary (weird how those words are similar, right?) so any volunteering is a good thing.

i volunteered at an animal shelter too, not for the sake of my app but just cuz i wanted to

i volunteered at an animal shelter too, not for the sake of my app but just cuz i wanted to

Hi guys, thanks a lot for the feedback so far.

The reason why I am choosing to volunteer at an animal shelter is because I thought that my 150 hours of shadowing my dentist was adequate exposure to the field. In addition, I have 2 cats at home so I have a special place for animals in my thoughts.

Do you guys think that 1 quarter of research, 150 hrs shadowing a dentist, and roughly 150 hours at an animal shelter is decent for EC's?

your shadowing hours are sufficient i think
I, too have only the 100 hrs shadowing for dental experience on my app. I have other ECs in business, leadership, research, volunteering etc but I wasn't met with an opportunity for something like a free clinic :(