WAMC, Advice for School List for Next Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KyoNagase

Reaction score
Date of submission: N/A 2024 June/July
Overall GPA: 4.0 currently
Science GPA: 4.0 currently
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.0 currently (1 semester of physics left and taking currently)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24 AA 26 TS 22 PAT 23 QR 20 Reading 27 Bio 26 Gen Chem 24 Orgo Chem
State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended: California UC
Major: Molecular and Cell Biology (Biochemistry emphasis)
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 361 Pure Shadowing Hours (296 General Dentistry and 65 Periodontist) 357 Hands-On Experience with Shadowing (Second Assistant, but was not paid and got to do some CEREC, ExoCad work)
Volunteering Experience: 109 Official American Red Cross Volunteer Hours (Volunteer at Blood Drives, Organized CPR Certification, First Aid at Marathons, etc)
Employment: Paid Research for 169.23 Hours (A Molecular and Cell Biology Lab, Wet Lab), Paid Research for ~150 Hours (Humanities the summer of entering college, not sure if this counts)
Research: 98.5 Hours (same lab as above) No publications. Not sure if I should do an Honors Thesis.
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-Dental Club (leadership positions (committee and intern), went to meetings and volunteer events), Intern for a National Non-Profit Organization (in charge of social media posts), STEM club (general member)
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List
LOR type and strength: not confirmed yet but I will be asking chemistry, organic chemistry lab, microbiology, or endocrinology professors (went to office hours and some of the professors recognize me, but the class size was huge), might ask lab professor, dentist letter of recommendation will be strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: First Generation student, can speak 4 languages and want to self-learn another, play instruments as a hobby. I have Infection control and X-Ray certification.

School list:
UoP
UCSF
UCLA
USC
UPENN
University of Michigan
Boston University
Rutgers University??? (not sure about this one)
Columbia??? (not sure about this one)
Harvard??? (not sure about this one)

Would like advice on any other schools I should apply to? Any advice to be a stronger applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.0 currently (1 semester of physics left and taking currently)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24 AA 26 TS 22 PAT 23 QR 20 Reading 27 Bio 26 Gen Chem 24 Orgo Chem

Undergrad Attended: UC Berkeley
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 361 Pure Shadowing Hours (296 General Dentistry and 65 Periodontist) 357 Hands-On Experience with Shadowing (Second Assistant, but was not paid and got to do some CEREC, ExoCad work)
Volunteering Experience: 109 Official American Red Cross Volunteer Hours (Volunteer at Blood Drives, Organized CPR Certification, First Aid at Marathons, etc)
Employment: Paid Research for 169.23 Hours (A Molecular and Cell Biology Lab, Wet Lab), Paid Research for ~150 Hours (Humanities the summer of entering college, not sure if this counts)
Research: 98.5 Hours (same lab as above) No publications. Not sure if I should do an Honors Thesis.
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-Dental Club (leadership positions (committee and intern), went to meetings and volunteer events), Intern for a National Non-Profit Organization (in charge of social media posts), STEM club (general member)
LOR type and strength: not confirmed yet but I will be asking chemistry, organic chemistry lab, microbiology, or endocrinology professors (went to office hours and some of the professors recognize me, but the class size was huge), might ask lab professor, dentist letter of recommendation will be strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: First Generation student, can speak 4 languages and want to self-learn another, play instruments as a hobby
School list:
UoP
UCSF
UCLA
USC
UPENN
University of Michigan
Boston University

Would like advice on any other schools I should apply to? Any advice to be a stronger applicant?
fix this:

Reactions: 1 user

Undergrad Attended: UC Berkeley
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: First Generation student, can speak 4 languages and want to self-learn another, play instruments as a hobby
School list:
UoP
UCSF
UCLA
USC
UPENN
University of Michigan
Boston University

remove U$C
PLEASE

Members don't see this ad :)
remove U$C
PLEASE
Thanks for the input! I understand that USC is expensive, but I am not confident I will get into UCLA, UoP, or UCSF. If possible, I would like to stay in California. Should I really just not bother applying then because of the cost?

Would this be any event for a dental school? An online infosession?
Online is a start, but eventually you need to meet people. Students in ASDA or SNDA and their predental committees that host school tours or recruitment events. Go to the CDA annual meeting. If you aren't willing to promote yourself, you will have more difficulty when you get into practice and recruit patients.

Check out HPSP or NHSC. There's no guarantee you will get a full COA scholarship. Make the schools want you.

If you'd want to stay in California, forget the East Coast. Stay regional with UNLV, Roseman, and Arizona. Unless you really want an academic career, an Ivy brand doesn't help you as much as the patients you serve.

Online is a start, but eventually you need to meet people. Students in ASDA or SNDA and their predental committees that host school tours or recruitment events. Go to the CDA annual meeting. If you aren't willing to promote yourself, you will have more difficulty when you get into practice and recruit patients.

Check out HPSP or NHSC. There's no guarantee you will get a full COA scholarship. Make the schools want you.

If you'd want to stay in California, forget the East Coast. Stay regional with UNLV, Roseman, and Arizona. Unless you really want an academic career, an Ivy brand doesn't help you as much as the patients you serve.
Thanks for the advice! I will look into everything you mentioned!