General Admissions & OTCAS How to improve my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Travelling_OT_Hopeful

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising senior and I just decided this year that I wanted to be an OT (previously nutritional sciences). I am trying to play catch up! I was wondering if you could take a look over my stats and let me know what I can do to improve my chances of being accepted!

Major: Biobehavioral Health
Minor: Human Development and Family Studies
GPA: 3.81
Prereq GPA:3.78

OT Observation: 75+ hours in a SNF, 25+ hours in home health, 20+ Hours outpatient
Extracurriculars: Worked in a summer daycare 4+ years, research in Human Development (+thesis is human development), campus tour guide (with leadership position), Peer health educator program, volunteer with THON, Pediatric Cancer Fundraiser

I am hoping to volunteer at the local VA this summer but have not heard back yet. Also trying to contact some peds places! I was wondering if you guys had any advice or information about how competitive OT schools are since I am just now starting my research! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Get really good LOR from OTs. Score well on the GRE. Write a bomb essay about why you want to become OT. The rest looks really, really good.

does the VA ever get back to anyone?

Reactions: 1 user
does the VA ever get back to anyone?

I'm a Research Assistant at my VA and it does take a VERY long time for everything, but once you get through I've only had positive experiences!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile