How to improve one's OMFS residency application if one does not match after dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistScientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the ways to improve one's OMFS residency application if one does not match after finishing dental school? and How much are these helpful?

I was thinking about improving CBSE scores after finishing DMD Ph.D while working part time as a general dentist or while doing a postdoctoral clinical research fellowship at big places like NIH or OMFS departments in dental schools. Which option would be more helpful?

By the time I am done with DMD Ph.D, I predict that I will have several abstracts for conferences, 3 first author papers, 1 second author, and 6 or more co-author papers if I combine all my previous publications and continue my Ph.D under my current research mentor. However, these are basic, translational science papers in immunology and microbiology with impact factors under 10. So not sure whether doing more research would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather you delete my post than censor it, thanks!

Last edited:
I apologize if I offended anyone.

I think research skills and grades/class ranking have almost zero correlations. I see couple of my MD PhD friends settling with research heavy medicine residency instead of research heavy neurosurgery. Therefore, I wanted to know how to prepare if similar thing happen to me.

So internship is the way to go. I see.

Last edited:
I apologize if I offended anyone.

I think research skills and grades/class ranking have almost zero correlations. I see couple of my MD PhD friends settling with research heavy medicine residency instead of research heavy neurosurgery. Therefore, I wanted to know how to prepare if similar thing happen to me.

So internship is the way to go. I see.

Dominate the CBSE and internship.

Reactions: 1 user
A very good cbse score trumps all other things.

Users are reminded to maintain professionalism in the forums.

Reactions: 1 users
As ppl start scoring higher and higher in CBSE, what would be a "very good" cbse score in your opinion?
Would you say at least a 80+ or 85+ is needed?

Not necessarily. I think a score of 70 or above is very good.

Give up and become a general dentist may be best option. Otherwise just do well on the CBSE