How to keep up with latest psychiatry news?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elisabeth Kate

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a stupid question, but how do you all keep up with all the latest happenings in psychiatry? I know you read, but what exactly are you reading? I feel like I only find out about the very latest things through peers instead of knowing it myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Major psychiatry journals: American Journal of Psychiatry, JAMA Psychiatry, Lancet Psychiatry, British Journal of Psychiatry, JAACAP for child psych; for more neuroscience/basic science Nature Neuroscience, Nature Reviews Neuroscience, Biological Psychiatry and Translational Psychiatry. It may also be a good idea to follow major general medical journals, such as NEJM, JAMA, Lancet, BMJ.
You can request to receive tables of contents for new issues of these journals by email. Obviously nobody has time to read all of these journals cover to cover, but looking over the titles and reading perspectives/editorials will give you a general idea of what's going on. Then you can proceed with reading some of the major articles that pique your interest +/- reviews.

You can also subscribe to psychiatry news at APA web site, such as APA Psychiatry News and APA Communications. Medscape Psychiatry is another decent source of psychiatry news.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with Amygdarya about subscribing to get daily emails from the APA (APA Psychiatry News and APA Communications). If you use Facebook often, JAMA Psychiatry updates their Facebook page frequently enough to keep up on the news. Getting the BrowZine app for the journals mentioned above may also be a good idea if you have access through your institution.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of apps, QxMD is another great one to keep track of the literature (thanks @NickNaylor for the recommendation!)

There are a lot of good journals, and no one has time to read everything. Agreed with the above, but I would also add Molecular Psychiatry (high impact). Journal of Clinical Psychiatry (that I think most residents get for free) has a lot of good stuff- not as high impact as AJP or JAMA Psych but often has better/more useful papers in it.

Also, I regularly pubmed some of my favorite big names in the field to see what they are doing- for example Danny Weinberger, Nora Volkow, Ken Kendler, Karl Diesseroth, etc

Reactions: 1 user
Also, I regularly pubmed some of my favorite big names in the field to see what they are doing- for example Danny Weinberger, Nora Volkow, Ken Kendler, Karl Diesseroth, etc
+ Kandel, Nestler

I read the Psychiatry section of Medscape, if only to know what my patients have become aware of through popular press. I read JAMA Psychiatry and Lancet Psychiatry. I flip through the throw-aways - Psychiatric Times, APA's Psych News, J Clin Psych, Current Psychiatry - at lunch, and I always get a chuckle out of the hubris of the slogan in the APA Psych News' masthead: "the first and last word in Psychiatry."