How to learn OChem for the MCAT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amit1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had O-Chem 4 years ago and I had a real bad professor who has since been fired. I am in TPR but I still can't learn anything. What should I do? Should I just give up on O-Chem? The only fu*king thing I can remember is Diels-Alder.

Am I SOL?

Members don't see this ad.

Amit,

I would highly recommend the EK Organic 4th ed. Its cheap and it has all the orgo you need. But since you have taken orgo a while ago you will probably need to depend on the TPR orgo from time to time. I say that only because you took orgo a while back, so in case you totally don't know something, you can look back. MCAT orgo is pretty simple, just need to know the basics really well and a few rxns to memorize, nothing major.

well isn't there a lot of o-chem that is now eliminated from the test? i personally have just looked at the ochem in the mcat comprehensive review book (the big one).

Although some Ochem has been decreased from the MCAT there will still be enough ochem that if you do not do well on some of those questions it may jeopardize your score big time. I would suggest to keep at it with the tpr book, and then look at EK. EK is highly concise and if you are trying to re-learn it from scratch tpr is best. Once you have it down somewhat then go for EK. Remember that alkenes, phenols, I think ethers, are a mut point. Do not need to know these. Go check at www. aamc. org for the latest.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with WonderBoy. I took orgo 4 years ago during the summer, so I really didn't remember much. I cannot think of a better review for orgo than the EK 4th edition. It's thorough, but concise, and they really do a brilliant job with the examples and figures. The book is small; easy to carry around and not intimidating at all. I usually like EK, so I am a tad biased, but honestly: of all the books I have seen EK orgo is THE one I would recommend.

Bought the EK orgo 4th edition. Hope it is as good as yall say!

Huh huh - I said "yall".