how to leave a program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annielyopia

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a resident at a program that is a very bad fit for me. It is a competitive field so if I quit it's unlikely I'll be admitted into that profession again. In medical school I liked this field and another equally and made the mistake of choosing this one. I have good grades and step scores but no letters of recommendation from people in this other specialty. What should I do to switch? Has anyone successfully switched with no letters from people in their new field?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a resident at a program that is a very bad fit for me. It is a competitive field so if I quit it's unlikely I'll be admitted into that profession again. In medical school I liked this field and another equally and made the mistake of choosing this one. I have good grades and step scores but no letters of recommendation from people in this other specialty. What should I do to switch? Has anyone successfully switched with no letters from people in their new field?

1) How competitive is the other field that you are thinking about switching into? If it's not that competitive (i.e. FP, peds, IM, gen surg, psych), you may have almost zero issues with switching.

2) The PROGRAM may be a bad fit...but is the FIELD a bad fit? If you still like the field that you are in, but the program is bad, then it is likely that the PD may agree with you that you should stay in that field but will help expedite the switch to another program. Have you considered doing that?

1) How competitive is the other field that you are thinking about switching into? If it's not that competitive (i.e. FP, peds, IM, gen surg, psych), you may have almost zero issues with switching.

Ouch!

I'm not sure if general surgery belongs on your list, but whatever....I'm afraid to retort since it will generate a time-consuming discussion. I'll just say that there are a few others that might fit better on your list of "not that competitive."

Ouch!

I'm not sure if general surgery belongs on your list, but whatever....I'm afraid to retort since it will generate a time-consuming discussion. I'll just say that there are a few others that might fit better on your list of "not that competitive."

:oops: Sorry if that offended you. I didn't mean it to.

When I wrote the post, I was thinking along the lines of some of the smaller community programs that are basically just looking for a warm body, or a surgical prelim. Gen surg might not belong on that list, you're right.

:oops: Sorry if that offended you. I didn't mean it to.

When I wrote the post, I was thinking along the lines of some of the smaller community programs that are basically just looking for a warm body, or a surgical prelim. Gen surg might not belong on that list, you're right.

Not offended. I was just sort of amused to be included in such a short list.

Ouch!

Why? You are more than biased. It is the surgery equivalent of internal medicine, and there are relatively fewer applicants for fewer spots (according to outcomes in the match). The average student who matches into medicine would likely match to surgery if they chose. Staying IN general surgery seems like a much more difficult and commendable task.