How to list degree in progress in resume/slide deck/etc (e.g. "MD in progress" vs "Medical Student" vs "MD Candidate")

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bloobury

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a quick search and couldn't find any previous threads but forgive me if I missed this tidbit of advice somewhere, as I'm sure this must have come up before.

What's the best way to list your degree in progress as a medical student on a resume, slide deck, etc?

E.g.

Bloobury, [undergrad/graduate degree(s)]
Medical Student, University of Awesome

Or

Bloobury, [other degrees], MD Candidate [Year of Expected Graduation]

.. MD class of (x)

Or.... something else?

Members don't see this ad.

On a resume it’ll be under your education section and/or your current position.

In a presentation or signature line you can list “medical student” with or without your current year.

Ultimately it really doesn’t matter as long as you convey what you’re doing. If it seems tacky, don’t do it. If you’re comfortable with something like “MD candidate” fine. If you cringe when you read that, then don’t

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I always find the "MD candidate" thing a little funny, as candidacy has a very particular academic meaning. Specifically a doctoral student who has passed their qualifying exams. Seconding Goro's format, I think that's about as clean and professional as you can get!

Reactions: 1 users
Slide deck:
Name, BA/BS, MSX class of 202X

CV/Resume
BA/BS University of XXX May 202X
MD University of XXX May 202X (Expected)

Acceptance Letter- Day Before Graduation: M.D./D.O. Candidate
Graduation: M.D./D.O.